Sign in to follow this  
Camelhammer

Here's an idea: research your planes first!

Woah, that video is impressive, but i will have to send it to my friend Vladimir to know what the hell is the commentator saying! That's why the su-37 is my favourite aircraft, that maneuvers are absolutely impossible for any other plane (except maybe the x-31). When i played f-22 ADF, in the instant action mode, one of the last enemies you encountered was a pair of su-37's (followed by 2 mig-30), and they were very tough! Most planes in that game couldn't lock on my stealthy f-22 before they were within amraam range, but the damned su-37's seemed to carry extremely powerful radars and attacked me with aa-12's from a very long distance. I tried several times to dogfight with them, but most times they raped my ass with that goddamned archer missiles. I never managed to shoot down one of'em with the cannon, i had to use my aim-9x's.

I wonder... why don't they take the s-37 (the one with forward swept wings) and put 3d vectoring engines on it? Then it could be the most maneuverable aircraft in the world!

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Sadico @ May 23 2002,21:48)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I wonder... why don't they take the s-37 (the one with forward swept wings) and put 3d vectoring engines on it? Then it could be the most maneuverable aircraft in the world!<span id='postcolor'>

Because they're broke. As for what the commentator is saying, basically a play by play of all the maneuvers, I had a hard time understanding everything he said myself, since the audio quality is kind of shitty, and I have a hard time understanding Russians if they speak too fast anyway.

*edit* Umm...ain't no such thing as a MiG-30....I hate movies/fgames that do that.....like the MiG-28 in Top Gun tounge.gif

*2nd edit* And anyways, the Russian's have realized that most customers are more than happy with the maneuverability of the Su-35 and Su-30, which have no thrust vectoring at all, so instead they have begun focusing on "pilot friendliness" factors such as better on-board processing/target prioritization, "cristal cockpits", ect. Either way, with the newest versions of the Archer, and the future AiM-9X when it comes out, the likelyhood of a gun knife fight is very unlikely.

ooops

It was mig-33 i think, also called mig-29m. I remember the mig-28 in top gun, all right. It looked suspiciously close to the f-5 tiger, don't you think? wink.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I have a hard time understanding Russians if they speak too fast anyway.

<span id='postcolor'>

My friend Vladimir told me that his own mother has a hard time understanding him, because he speaks russian very fast. You should hear him speaking spanish. I can understand him most times because we have been in the same class for 2 years, but lots of times i have to translate for the teachers biggrin.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Sadico @ May 23 2002,22:14)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">ooops

It was mig-33 i think, also called mig-29m. I remember the mig-28 in top gun, all right. It looked suspiciously close to the f-5 tiger, don't you think? wink.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Ah yes, the MiG-33, I thought you might have meant that one. It's another one of my favourites but it looks like the Russian government has started favouring the Su-27 family over that of the MiG-29. I'm starting to think it will never be more than a prototype. As for using the F-5 in Top Gun, I can understand that completely, the Cold War was still on...and to be fair the US used them as agressors simulating MiGs, but they at least should have made an attempt to make them look like MiGs, with Soviet-style camouflage and markings instead of all black...a bit too much like the "men with black hats" in Westerns tounge.gif. And what the hell was it with having a circle around the red star?? And given it an actual existing designation.

The Russian Government wont "favour" one company over the other as they are both government owned.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Tovarish @ May 23 2002,01:22)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Sadico @ May 23 2002,22:14)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">ooops

It was mig-33 i think, also called mig-29m. I remember the mig-28 in top gun, all right. It looked suspiciously close to the f-5 tiger, don't you think? wink.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Ah yes, the MiG-33, I thought you might have meant that one. It's another one of my favourites but it looks like the Russian government has started favouring the Su-27 family over that of the MiG-29. I'm starting to think it will never be more than a prototype. As for using the F-5 in Top Gun, I can understand that completely, the Cold War was still on...and to be fair the US used them as agressors simulating MiGs, but they at least should have made an attempt to make them look like MiGs, with Soviet-style camouflage and markings instead of all black...a bit too much like the "men with black hats" in Westerns tounge.gif. And what the hell was it with having a circle around the red star?? And given it an actual existing designation.<span id='postcolor'>

I think it was supposed to be "An Unnamed Foreign Power,"

But honestly Topgun for facts on Combat Aviation? That's like watching "Scooby Doo" for advice on dog handling! biggrin.gif

yeah if u want advice on plane physics watch hot shots smile.gif it teaches u all u need to no about how the harrier works

smile.gif that's true, top gun was crap.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">The Russian Government wont "favour" one company over the other as they are both government owned.<span id='postcolor'>

But the government finds the su-27 more useful, so they are giving the little money they can spare to sukhoi. The only mig project that could be more useful (the mig 1.42 also known as mig-35 or MFI) is very expensive, the last notice i heard about it was the first flight 2 years ago.

mig144-002.jpg

mig144-003.jpg

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Paratrooper @ May 24 2002,14:42)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">The Russian Government wont "favour" one company over the other as they are both government owned.<span id='postcolor'>

Not since the Soviet Union broke up. Now it's all a big business

Hey, i've just noticed the North Korean Air Force insignia is a red star with a circle around it. Unnamed Foreign Power, they say? biggrin.gif

I can't understand why they used black f-5's. The real top gun uses f-5's and a-4's with soviet style cammo to imitate the performance of old soviet fighters such as the mig-17, israeli kfir's to imitate mig-23/25 (but i think they are no longer using them) and f-16's for the mig-29... Maybe you are right and the planes are black to give the impression of being evil biggrin.gif

mig15-003.jpg

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Sadico @ May 24 2002,20:42)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Hey, i've just noticed the North Korean Air Force insignia is a red star with a circle around it. Unnamed Foreign Power, they say? biggrin.gif<span id='postcolor'>

I haven't seen Top Gun in a while but I'm pretty sure I remember the MiGs were supposed to be Soviet. And how about the fact the MiG pilots always had their tinted visors down? "Let's not show the enemy pilots faces, they'll look too human" tounge.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Tovarish @ May 24 2002,23:25)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Sadico @ May 24 2002,20:42)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Hey, i've just noticed the North Korean Air Force insignia is a red star with a circle around it. Unnamed Foreign Power, they say? biggrin.gif<span id='postcolor'>

I haven't seen Top Gun in a while but I'm pretty sure I remember the MiGs were supposed to be Soviet. And how about the fact the MiG pilots always had their tinted visors down? "Let's not show the enemy pilots faces, they'll look too human" tounge.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Yep, lot's of films do that, Star Wars (stormtroopers) for example. smile.gif

I had a good laugh when i saw Top Gun. I was very young back then (i don't remember the year i saw that film, but i was born in 1984) and it's one of the first air combat films i've ever seen. I thought i was gonna see migs and when i saw that f-5's i said "what? that's a mig? mig-28?? what the hell is a mig-28??" biggrin.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Sadico @ May 23 2002,14:58)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Yeah, the sukhoi s-37 (not su-37) and the x-29 have forward swept wings.<span id='postcolor'>

umm yeah i knew that but how much of a manuver advantage does it give??? does anyone have a video of s-37 or x-29 in action???