Sign in to follow this  
CarlGustaffa

Modern orchestra, some questions.

Hi, and sorry for the wildly offtopic :)

I'm working on something that features a full modern orchestra, based on something I did earlier in a rock band like setup. That version features drums naturally.

Now, a big orchestra may have a drummer in addition to the earlier romantic era percussion parts (bass drum, snare drum, cymbal, tam tam, triangle etc etc).

My question is, how are these similar instruments mixed?

1) One is muted while the other plays.

2) Both play in unison.

3) They have individual parts (Q & A style), separated or at the same time.

Any musicians around?

Hmm I'm not sure if I understand the question correctly, but two of the only things that separate a "modern orchestra" from one of the earlier romantic era ones is the number of percussion devices now employed (sirens, etc), and the doubling of instruments particularly brass and woodwinds. Usually a large orchestra will use the same drummer on the drum set for other percussion at different times.

By mixed do you mean in post production or in real time performance?

Be sure to get a redux version of Slow Blades done when you hit the recording phase. I'd pay real money to hear it played by a real orchestra.

The bassdrum player has a bassdrum.

The snaredrum player has a snaredrum.

The cymbal player has a cymbal (set :p).

The drummer however, has all of these and then some.

So, when an orchestra features a drummer (and have all the other percussionists as well), does he play the same things as all the others (doubling them), have completely separate notation from the others (i.e. hitting his bassdrum on 2 and 4 whereas the bass drummer hits on 1 and 3), or do they play in phrases (Q & A style).

Slow Blades could be an example, although I can only hear a drummer. If it had the individual players as well, what would they play?

Ah I see what you're saying.

They wouldn't use a drum set for those unless it was a jazzy or rock piece. Depending on how many are played at one moment would be how many percussionists would be required for it. If it's only one at a time then the lone percussionist would walk from various device to another as time went on instead of using a drumset.

That would depend on what the piece require you to do, one of the example I could think of is from the recent YTSO 2011 modern piece

made by Mason Bates.

@SFG:

Ah, so basically they are then normally separated if they are even in the same piece (which would be a rare thing). Thanks.

@4 IN 1:

Mothership, interesting piece which was new to me. But, too weird instrumentation for me, and a bit too modern sounding (musically). Electronic drums? Just... No :p Guzheng and electric doublebass solos were awesome though.

Thanks again.

Thats a sampler, not electronic drums, where you can record some sound you want to playback when compose music. It is a electronic musical instrument, but thats not the focus.

Also I don't really care about if the music is "modern" or "classic" sounding, good music is good music.

@SFG:

Ah, so basically they are then normally separated if they are even in the same piece (which would be a rare thing). Thanks.

Thanks again.

Yes in the classical arena they are separated. Unless it's a Semi Classical/Jazz piece then they will have a drum set.