Sign in to follow this  
sinisteral

Effective Resupplies?

One of the hardest issues, even more hard than combating an enemy at times, is the resupply of a large squad or platoon sized (high command using) AI force. Has anyone figured out a way to get effective resupplies going for both units under their direct command and units in high command, appreciate any opinions on the matter, maybe a mod?

Cheers

Just like in a regular game if you have an ammunition truck with a support waypoint, you could request ammo resupply. So can AI teammates. I would assume that if you had some ammunition trucks set up, say 2 or 3, and you were ordering your AI to do whatever it was they were doing. Once they ran out of ammo, they would just request the ammunition truck to come and they would resupply there, without you having to do anything. If you're worried about the ammo truck being attacked or ambushed or something group an armed car to it and make it the leader and set formation to column and behavior to 'careless'. That way the car will lead with the ammo truck following behind. If you want better insurance that the ammo truck will survive add 3 or 4 (no more as they won't fit) soldiers to the cargo of the car and truck, if they come under fire the AI will disembark and engage the enemy. It'll take longer for them to rearm your AI teams but theres a much better chance of survival if it's an intense conflict. Hope that helps.

The AI won't engage on foot with careless mode I don't believe. I also don't think infantry units resupply from ammo trucks on their own but I honestly don't know for sure. They sure don't use ammo crates.

When you say "the AI will disembark and engage enemy" do you mean "AI will disembark, have a look round then repeatedly get in and out of the vehical"?? haha

The AI won't engage on foot with careless mode I don't believe. I also don't think infantry units resupply from ammo trucks on their own but I honestly don't know for sure. They sure don't use ammo crates.

You're right, so instead of putting them in careless mode it would be better to assign them to safe, so if they are engaged they switch to aware, danger, etc, then once the threat is cleared they'll go away. I've never actually seen AI resupply ammunition, but I do know that they will call for it. You'll see in the radio text "This is _____, requesting immediate resupply at ______". So at least they call for it.

When you say "the AI will disembark and engage enemy" do you mean "AI will disembark, have a look round then repeatedly get in and out of the vehical"?? haha

They will disembark only if they come under fire and begin to engage, otherwise as long as there isn't any fighting they'll just move along like normal.

If the AI gets low enough on ammo to where they say "Low on ammo!", and there's an AI team leader, the ai team leader will order their low ammo unit to resupply at the nearest supply. Now, I don't know if an infantry squad will call for an ammo truck with just one guy low on ammo.