Sign in to follow this  
VirusLIVED

Can you spot my code error?

Can anyone spot the problem with this script? I know the script is executing correctly and I am pretty sure the code is working up until it hits the "IF" statement. I can't figure out what I am doing wrong. Please help, and thank you.

private ["_locs", "_state"];
_locs = [loc1, loc2, loc3, loc4, loc5, loc6, loc7, loc8, loc9, loc10, loc11, loc12, loc13, locl4, loc15];
_state = "true";

sleep 0.1;

{_x setDamage 1} forEach _locs;
_state = "false";

if (_state == "false") then
{
{_x setDamage 0} forEach _locs;
exitWith{hint "RESTORED and ACTIVE!"}; 
};

private ["_locs", "_state"];
_locs = [loc1, loc2, loc3, loc4, loc5, loc6, loc7, loc8, loc9, loc10, loc11, loc12, loc13, locl4, loc15];
_state = true;

sleep 0.1;

{_x setDamage 1} forEach _locs;
_state = false;

if (!_state) then
{
};

Here we go ;)

change

if (_state == "false") then
{
};  

to:

if (_state == "false") exitWith
{
   hint "RESTORED and ACTIVE!"; 
};  

Thanks guys. I think that just about fixed my problem. This leads me to another question...

Why is it that when you declare a variable such as _state = "true" that you must reference it in quotation marks? I though true is boolean meaning its not a string therefore not needing quotation marks.

I tried the script above without quotes and the script didnt work. Then I tried it with quotes and it did.

Either way, problem is solved. This is a learning experience for me. Thanks again!

Why is it that when you declare a variable such as _state = "true" that you must reference it in quotation marks? I though true is boolean meaning its not a string therefore not needing quotation marks.

I tried the script above without quotes and the script didnt work. Then I tried it with quotes and it did.

because you declared the variable _state = "true"; to be a string before the check, now you have to check it against a string to be valid, if you had declared it a bolean at start, you can check it against bolean later.

some examples:

strings:

_state = "true";
if (_state == "true") then {hint "this works"};

checking if false, (not same as).

_state = "trueish";
if (_state != "whatever") then {hint "this works too since _state is NOT same as "whatever"};

boleans:

_state = true;
if (_state) then {hint "this works too"};

above means that if true then display hint.

you can also check it against false:

_state = false;
if (!_state) then {hint "this works too because its checking for false"};

string VS bolean:

you can also check a bolean against a string if you need for some reason using str command.

_state = true;
if (str(_state) == "true") then {hint "this works too as it checks for if _state inside '' is same as 'true'"};

a note on the hint i used ' instead of " inside the hint since it will conflict with the hint itself, but it means " just incase you didnt know, not trying to confuse ;)

Edited by Demonized

Thank you very much for helping me out, this is very good information and it really helps clarify my issues with quotation marks! :D

Thanks again.