Sign in to follow this  
JojoTheSlayer

Press Space, first selection is "FIRE"?

I was playing on a insurgency server a while back and when I pressed the quick action bar (spacebar) for my troops my first action for each unit was "Fire", not the "move" command it usually is. It didnt matter if I was targeting anything or not, looking into the sky or similar. Under "Fire" was the normal "move", but in the editor I couldnt create the same command. Nor did I get it when I joined a CTI server and had units under my command...Of course I forgot to take a picture...

The question is how do I recreate this?

Is there some situation where this happens or is there some key I have to press similar to left Alt to get the "watch and suppressive" commands? I guess this is something new to OA patch 1.59? Anyone know about this?

Are you confusing Fire with Engage? Or perhaps you are running a non-english version of the game.

See if you can replicate this by assigning a target (space + left click on an enemy unit).

-k

I cant be bothered to check, but where they in 'hold fire' at that moment?

Nope, like I said the text was "Fire".

It didnt matter where I looked or what status my men was in. I pressed a F key and the first option in the quick menu was "Fire", not engage. If "hold fire" is selected then it will change to "open fire" not just "fire". So its not that.

The other thing is that when I selected fire I would get the "attack icon", the one you get when you have a member selected and look at a enemy, but it was green and turned only red if I looked at a enemy, but it wasnt dependent on the usual need to be looking at a enemy.

Yeah I've seen this before too. First option when you press space is Fire. Not really sure what it did, if anything when i clicked on it.

this is based on a 5 minute test.. quite possibly not the full picture, but it seems to make sense.

aim on target

space-> Target enemy

space-> Engage

space-> Fire

(Space menu is optional, numbered menu works too)

If the enemy is unreckognizable then your team mates don't seem to fire until you use the Fire command. Between ~300-400 meters? Under ~300 they seem to reckognize and shoot autonomously. Over 400 they refuse?

This was with m16, but scoped weapons changes things.

Edited by wamingo

this is based on a 5 minute test.. quite possibly not the full picture, but it seems to make sense.

aim on target

space-> Target enemy

space-> Engage

space-> Fire

(Space menu is optional, numbered menu works too)

If the enemy is unreckognizable then your team mates don't seem to fire until you use the Fire command. Between ~300-400 meters? Under ~300 they seem to reckognize and shoot autonomously. Over 400 they refuse?

This was with m16, but scoped weapons changes things.

Nice, interesting. I can recreate it now with your intel.

I am just looking it at it now, but for the bold text did you try using the stop command then fire?

(Didnt work, seems there is a max engagement range on ai troops depending on type and or weapon. Which makes sense.)

Edit:

After doing what you said I get the command.

The command stays in the quick menu until:

A. Enemy unit is dead and you re order the friendly unit into "engage".

B. The enemy unit is not dead, but you order your friendly unit into "no target" then "engage" again.

So far, I cant see any pratical use for it. Its similar to "open fire" and "open fire" seem to work better...

Pic "FIRE".

Edited by JojoTheSlayer