Sign in to follow this  
oktyabr

Mirroring objects

Hey all,

I'm working on a small project that is mostly open terrain with a few hundred trees, bushes and the like. The deal is that I want the map split vertically in half and the two halves to be a mirror image of the other!

Not a problem as far as terrain, sat and mask go... what I'm curious about is what is the most efficient way to place trees, etc. and copy+flip (mirror) the exact same objects in the exact same positions on the mirrored side? Is there something in visitor more than just a copy and paste that will do this? Is there a way to use a mask for discrete object placement that I might mirror in a graphics app?

Many thanks in advance!

I used a program that somebody wrote for me to achive that on ovaron island. (can flip in any direction) wonder if there is some free tool.

Still hoping someone can produce a solution for mirroring trees and other objects from one side of a map (in V3) to the other?

In case anyone wants to know an easy way to mirror the HF just cut it in half, load it in GIMP, select "FX-Foundry" then "Layer Effects" then "Apply Mirrors". Make sure your final image is a square again (512x512 or whatever), trim some off or rescale the image to make it right...

GIMP will try to save it as a 32bit png instead of the 16bit that V3 likes... I have the Pro version of L3DT and I just load it back up in that and resave it... it ends up as 16bit again.

I've also heard that http://www.rawtherapee.com/?mitem=2 will do the conversion nicely as well.

Hmm.. suppose it could be done without a whole lot of huff. I mean ultimately you'd just need to copy out the one side then do some math, change some numbers and re-import.

At least I think that would work. Maybe one of the smart kids will jump in and save the day.

Thanks Beton for the tip.

I was looking at maskmapper but haven't played with it yet. Thought if nothing else I would use it to place the trees, etc.

For placing vegetation I think you'll find Shezan's excellent World Tools forest generator considerably more sophisticated...

It does rocks too...

B

For placing vegetation I think you'll find Shezan's excellent World Tools forest generator considerably more sophisticated...

It does rocks too...

B

Yup, just used it to whip up a custom map. Works great! I wish I could figure out what format you have to save projects as though... I've tried a bunch of stuff and no file ever shows up??? Maybe saving projects isn't included yet?

Export seems to be limited to .exp, is that right?

5x5km terrain with a 1km stretch of water down the middle... something like 112,000 trees, bushes and rocks on the dry land! Seems like a lot?

EDIT: Oh, and no way to mirror *exact* object type and placement, at least not in WorldTools. Instead I mirrored over the masks I used so while not exactly the same they sure look a lot a like.

I wish I could figure out what format you have to save projects as though... I've tried a bunch of stuff and no file ever shows up??? Maybe saving projects isn't included yet?

I have the same problem saving projects too, but Shezan is already informed.

Lets hope he finds the issue quickly. You could help him with that by sending him the WorldTools Log-File :)

I have the same problem saving projects too, but Shezan is already informed.

Lets hope he finds the issue quickly. You could help him with that by sending him the WorldTools Log-File :)

A log file in english could help, but i've identified the problem and i'm searching for a different serialization approach. I will win. Be sure :)