Sign in to follow this  
Ripsaw5165

Catalyst 11.2 driver seems to have helped Takistan grass/foliage stutter

Catalyst version 11.2 is out as of Febuary 15th. I updated to them (mobility radeon) and I can't say for sure yet but with Catalyst AI set to Advanced I think I'm getting less stutter than I got before when near that green grass that is sometimes in the less deserty areas in Takistan, and less stutter when passing complex buildings in towns (such as when driving/riding in a vehicle). Maybe. Previously was using Catalyst 10.8's. Might be something to it, because in the Release Notes AMD mentions this about anisotropy:

•Catalyst AI Texture Filtering updates◦The Quality setting has now been improved to match the High Quality setting in all respects but one; it enables an optimization that limits tri-linear anisotropic filtering to areas surrounding texture mipmap level transitions, while doing bilinear anisotropic filtering elsewhere. This optimization offers a way to improve filtering performance without visibly affecting image quality

â—¦The Performance setting has been updated to address the sharpness of the default Quality setting causing shimmering in certain cases. It now provides a smoother filtering option that eliminates most shimmering while preserving the improved detail provided by anisotropic filtering.

source: http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/AMDCatalyst112ReleaseNotes.aspx

---------- Post added at 05:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:42 PM ----------

For anyone with Radeon 5000 series or newer might be interested in these new features for the 11.2 release also:

•Tessellation Controls

â—¦Supported on the ATI Radeon HD 5000 Series and the AMD Radeon HD 6000 Series

â—¦New settings give users full control over the Tessellation levels used in applications.

■The default selection “AMD Optimized†setting is intended to set the best level of Tessellation on a per application basis. The “AMD Optimized†setting is designed to help users get the maximum visual benefit of Tessellation, while minimizing the performance impact associated with enabling Tessellation. Currently no applications have been profiled.

■The “Use Application Settings†option gives applications full control over the Tessellation level.

â– Users can also manually set the maximum tessellation level used by applications with the slider control

•Morphological Anti-Aliasing support for the ATI Radeon HD 5000 Series

â—¦AMD Catalyst now includes official support for Morphological Anti-Aliasing for the ATI Radeon HD 5000 Series

Edited by Ripsaw5165
added source link

Once I have a catalyst config set up and working, I NEVER NEVER play with it. Any tweaks, adjustments, updates etc all seem to end in lots of swearing and frustration.

The update process for me was very smooth and efficient. Download the Catalyst Utility, let it uninstall the 10.8 display driver and catalyst control ctr, reboot, use the utility again to install the 11.2 display driver and "cataylst control ctr 2" and... done. Although I go through an extra voluntary step of using UltraDefrag (3rd party open source) in pre-boot environment to defragment system files, registry file, pagefile, etc. I do that any time I update drivers.

The update process for me was very smooth and efficient. Download the Catalyst Utility, let it uninstall the 10.8 display driver and catalyst control ctr, reboot, use the utility again to install the 11.2 display driver and "cataylst control ctr 2" and... done. Although I go through an extra voluntary step of using UltraDefrag (3rd party open source) in pre-boot environment to defragment system files, registry file, pagefile, etc. I do that any time I update drivers.

Hi so whats your verdict on these drivers? any good/better?

I have a 4890 1gb im on 12.1 I think is it worth uprgrading to 12.2?.

Thanks

Zero difference here, it appears. Or very little, to the extent that I'm not noticing anything substantial.

Hi so whats your verdict on these drivers? any good/better?

I have a 4890 1gb im on 12.1 I think is it worth uprgrading to 12.2?.

Thanks

Do you mean 11.1?

Do you mean 11.1?

Yep sorry 11.1 I have at the moment is it worth going to 11.2?

According to the release notes it should be provide better filtering performance over 11.1 and previous releases if you set Mipmap Detail Level to "Quality" and have Catalyst AI set to Advanced. This is how I have it set and yes, I seem to notice less stuttering as described in post #1. Stuttering still occurs, but seems reduced in frequency and severity. This is all in Takistan, I have not tried the other maps yet as I am currently performing ops in Takistan.