Sign in to follow this  
oktyabr

How big a partition should I use?

Hi,

I'm interested in trying my hand at making an island and have been reading lots on it. The only question I really have is how big should my partition be to house the BIS tools, etc?

Basically my primary gaming drive has about 120GB free on it. I don't mind making a new partition for island creation but don't want to just throw 100GB or something at the wind if I don't have to. If I really need that much space I'll go buy a third drive (have two already).

Can someone suggest a reasonable partition size if I keep my project neat and tidy and only use it for one island at a time?

Thanks in advance!

Not sure what size and complexity maps your are planning to make but the maps you can download use an average of 400MB each in PBO form. In .7z or .rar (packed arcieve) state they will be around half that size like most packed PBO's greatly reducing the "size on disk". But sinds you can usually only work with unpacked files in the editor i would keep the first number in mind. The question remains about where you plan to store the Map Creation PBO files and other used files ? If this will be on the same drive i'dd go for a size of 25GB sinds you have plenty of space to use!

Not sure what size and complexity maps your are planning to make but the maps you can download use an average of 400MB each in PBO form. In .7z or .rar (packed arcieve) state they will be around half that size like most packed PBO's greatly reducing the "size on disk". But sinds you can usually only work with unpacked files in the editor i would keep the first number in mind. The question remains about where you plan to store the Map Creation PBO files and other used files ? If this will be on the same drive i'dd go for a size of 25GB sinds you have plenty of space to use!

Yes, I plan to follow the guide (this one: http://www.armedassault.info/index.php?game=1&cat=articles&class=tutorials&id=40 ) on how to set up everything including unpacking the files which seem to end up in the same partition. The guide seems very clear and easy to follow *except* it doesn't make any recommendation on how large a partition one might need.

I know from previous experiments in similar projects that it's easy to download/unpack way more stuff than you really need for a single project as planned but I intend to be careful about not doing that. I only want to work on one island, might end up being pretty big but maybe not too. Anyway I know it's difficult for someone to nail down a specific number but all I really am asking is for recommendations... or maybe from other island makers... how big is your terrain partition?

If everything goes in that new partition and I use it as my unpack area as well will 25GB be plenty with room to spare? Should I use 50? Buy a whole new 1TB drive? :j:

You're right... although the tools install creates a "virtual" P:\ drive where all the action seems to happen - it is actually just a big folder inside the main BIS Tools folder you'll create when you install the tools to your partition, so it is all in the one place really... You basically unpack all the game files - Arma 2 AND Arrowhead , if you have it, tho there is some stuff you can skip... a full unpack of everything plus several ongoing projects plus xtras is about 26Gb on my drive - so 25Gb should be ample for you - maybe 30Gb if you want to have plenty of room...

The tutorial you linked to is by Sgt Ace - it's by far the best place to start... theres a "sticky" thread about it at the top of this forum section which also has Q&A covering most hiccups you might run into... Sgt Aces Tut is guaranteed to work though, and is a great basis to adapt into your own project once you've been thru it...

Good luck.....!

B

Thanks! I do have both A2 and OA (and PMC, etc.) so that was exactly the sort of answer I was hoping for. 30GB I think.