Sign in to follow this  
pooroldspike

Wire mesh fences don't stop AT-missiles?

Ha ha I accidentally fired a SMAW through a mesh fence and hit the vehicle way behind it.

I'd have thought such fences would make the missiles detonate prematurely, or do they just punch through it in real life as if it's not there?

Or is it an AA2 flaw/bug?

its not a flaw per se. Making rockets detonate on it would also mean that the bullets would be stopped (fire geometry LOD), which would be seen as a way worse defect. Thats just how the projectile collision thing works.

Ha ha I accidentally fired a SMAW through a mesh fence and hit the vehicle way behind it.

I'd have thought such fences would make the missiles detonate prematurely, or do they just punch through it in real life as if it's not there?

Or is it an AA2 flaw/bug?

I don't think a wire fence would detonate a Warhead in a reliable and reproducable manner. Most of the time the thing would simply slip through since the usual mesh fence is just loosely bound together and does not react as a solid surface on a impact..more like a netting. Just a speculation of course, I've never shot a life AT grenade into a mesh fence, but even so the practice round had a good punch on impact. Edited by Beagle

They used to use steel mesh fences to dud incoming RPG rounds. The RPG would break through, but the fence would loop around the nose cone like a noose, and crush the casing on its way through. This would short the fuse out. I think that IRL such a fence might cause errors in trajectory but I think they should pass through. I think the occasion that the fence engaged the crush fuse on an AT device would be fairly improbable, given the open-air-steel-ratio of the fence's surface area, and the malleability of the fence itself, and therefore the occurrence would be rare.

Couldn't they workaround this by giving fences some sort of penetration value similar to paper so bullets will pass through almost unhindered by explosive ordinance will detonate?

Then they'd just have to make sure that HE cannon rounds went through.

The point was that almost no explosive weapons would be detonated by a wire fence. They would always break through, and rarely would cause rpgs not to detonate at all.