Sign in to follow this  
canukausiuka

Mk 20 rockeye

I was wondering if anyone was planning to make an addon for the A-10 that adds Mk 20 Rockeyes to it. It seems to me that the Rockeye is actually well suited to the OFP environment (if it can take out an entire area of soft targets, it would prove to be incredibly useful, although if it's too powerful, it may wind up being too useful... ie, so good that it doesn't leave a challenge). Myself, I have no idea how to go about making such an addon, and I do not think I could learn well enough to even attempt it on my own, but I know there are some experienced people out there. Just taking a guess, couldn't you set it up to be a 'burst' (like the shotguns do) of grenades or, depending on effectiveness, mortars that just drop like bombs? I know the real thing drops and then deploys, but I have no idea how that could be implemented.

Also, are all the hardpoints on the A-10 used in the game? It seems to me that the A-10 can carry more than just 8 Mavericks or 8 LGBs. Also, how realistic is the cannon? I cannot seem to use it effectively at all, except against UAZs and other really easy to destroy cars (when I can get them lined up... a rare occurence - I hate the way the rudder is useless over a certain speed). Finally, is there a way to improve the visibility from the cockpit? I can't stand 3rd person view, but you just can't see out of the cockpit they provided? Even raising the pilots head would probably work...

Anyways, just an idea about the Mk20s. I really think they would add a lot to the game (of course, I really wish that the aircraft and tanks and all were as realistic as the infantry... but that's what dreams are for tounge.gif )

the speed of the bullets on the cannon need to be reduced, they a10 usualy fires a bunch of bullets, turns around and by the time the bulets hit its outta the way.

also the a10 has 11 hardpoints, 1 is primarily used for fuel.

in real life its can carry, 18 Gbu-10s.

i got a book here with its loadouts.

close air anti armour = 6 mavericks a ecm pod and a pave penny

counter insurgency = 17 cluster bombs and a ecm

forward air control = 9 rocket pods, 1 fuel tank and an ecm

day recon = 7 cluster bombs, 6 mavericks and emc

nicht recon = 7 clusterbombs, 6 flare pods and ecm

combat rescue excort = 4 cluster bombs 6 rocket pods 1 fuel tank and 1 ecm

battlefeild interdiction = 4 GP bombs and a ecm

its maximum takeoff weight = 50,000lbs or 22,680 Kg

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Airdude2 @ May 13 2002,05:11)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">the speed of the bullets on the cannon need to be reduced, they a10 usualy fires a bunch of bullets, turns around and by the time the bulets hit its outta the way.<span id='postcolor'>

confused.gif

It seems to me that the cyclic rate on the Warthogs cannon in OFP isnt high enough. Also, it needs to be more effective against tanks, as its depleted uranium shells and high firing rate have been shown to be highly effective against soviet armor

yes cyclic rate needs to go up.

the a10 has two cycle rate 2,100 or 4,200 rounds a minute, which is about 35 rounds a second and 70 rounds a second

but the actual speed of the bullets need to go down.

the a10 attack plan is to fly low and rise when nearing target when in range (about 5 seconds TOF (time of flgiht) of the zsu-23 projectile, the plane starts its run lining up the zsu.

at about 3.5 seconds the a10 fires a 1.5 second burst with its Gau-8, after which it turns around and starts evasive manuvers (while diving under the shilka's minimum elevation before the first 23mm projectile even reaches the a10.

The ROF is deliberately lowered so it does not lag the game. Each and every round is tracked in OFP, a tracer made for it (usually) and then OFPs lag intensive smoke made on impact. All this information must be sent to the client to the server then back to the clients.

If it was 1 A10 it may not be horrible, but if it where several then it would be bad.

The A10 was the first plane to be solely designed around its cannon, ie the cannon was made and then the A10 was built as basically something that could carry the cannon. In real life it is alot more powerful and it should have no trouble taking out armour in a single run. However, for some reason OPF has it toned down alot, i don't c why it couldn't have a low ROF but each bullet did alot more dammage.

Anyway i've talked long enough biggrin.gif

Thanks for the info on the A-10 smile.gif . Has anyone tried to make a more realistic A-10? I got a few mods (can't think of their names right now), but none of them seemed to be much of an improvement. Also, back to the original question, could someone make a Rockeye addon? I think it would add a lot to the game if it was done right, but there's no way I could even think about doing it myself.

*bump* - Would anyone be interested in doing this? I would try myself if I had even the foggiest notion of how to go about it. Does anyone else have any ideas/comments?

How would you change the rate of fire for the a10? Would it be hard to do or is it just changing some things around in the pbo? Where could I find some tutorial on how to do this? Thanks...

you could easily change the firing rate in the config file, but i'm too much of a n00b modder to know where to get the originals (or i would make a MG-42 or something)

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Airdude2 @ May 13 2002,05:11)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">the speed of the bullets on the cannon need to be reduced, they a10 usualy fires a bunch of bullets, turns around and by the time the bulets hit its outta the way.

also the a10 has 11 hardpoints, 1 is primarily used for fuel.

in real life its can carry, 18 Gbu-10s.

i got a book here with its loadouts.

close air anti armour = 6 mavericks a ecm pod and a pave penny

counter insurgency = 17 cluster bombs and a ecm

forward air control = 9 rocket pods, 1 fuel tank and an ecm

day recon = 7 cluster bombs, 6 mavericks and emc

nicht recon = 7 clusterbombs, 6 flare pods and ecm

combat rescue excort = 4 cluster bombs 6 rocket pods 1 fuel tank and 1 ecm

battlefeild interdiction = 4 GP bombs and a ecm

its maximum takeoff weight = 50,000lbs or 22,680 Kg<span id='postcolor'>

uhhh. Mk20 rockeye? well will the engeine take all of those 200 "balls" that it spreads?

A-10 carries Clusters... i'm a former online flight sim pilot.

A single MK 20 Rockeye affects an area of roughly 3300 square yards...OFP is for sure not the best software to simulate  these kinds of weapons, as the game is focusing on groundcombat in an pathetic small playing area (from a viewpoint of planes). With enough loadout on weapon pylons it would be almost possible to carpet bomb the whole island from top to bottom biggrin.gif.

Generally large area weapon systems (as clusterbombs) take out the best parts of OFP, making them obsolete, and replace those with quake style fragfests, ending games within seconds. The unguided rockets we have are already more than enough to wipe out a whole company at a snap, is that not sufficent? confused.gif

I read somewhere that the A10's cannon would be able to knock out T72's in a single straf run, in real life that cannon really is a devastatingly (is that a word tounge.gif ) powerful weapon

I understand your point Satchel. I guess I just think it would be nice to have everything as absolutely realistic as possible... but then it wouldn't be balanced and at times it would not be fun (it would suck a lot to die everytime b/c some jet dropped clusterbombs on your squad sad.gif ).

'Course, it would still be pretty cool to drop a few clusterbombs and watch the chaos below. biggrin.gif

Oh well, I guess it has about as much place as high-speed jet fighters and artillery batteries in this game confused.gif they'd be fun, but they just don't fit in.

The gun on the a-10 is horrendusly underpowered in this game. Inr eal life it will rip through tank armor like a knife through butter. This may be due to the limitations on the ofp engine tho

From a realistical standpoint you are absolutely right, but we also have to see the environment Flashpoint is taking place in and the way it is focused on ground based combat. Even with the new Resistance coming up, enabling us to set viewdistances of up to 5000m on the snap via a slider, OFP  won´t get an A/C simulation. With 5000m viewdistance you overlook half of the new island, and it´s just to little playing area for planes with an immense destructive arsenal.

I can only appeal to everyone that wants to fly around and blow up stuff the realistic way, get a dedicated flightsim, like the upcoming Lock On: Modern Air Combat, it´s going to be huge and delivers everything for our fixed wing aircraft  needs, everything a ground focused game can´t.

mass_weaponage_b.jpg

Tools of the trade.

ground_vehicles_b.jpg

Some stuff to blow up biggrin.gif

thegermans_large.jpg

Ground detail isn´t bad either for a flightsim

Here is the url:

http://www.lo-mac.com

Check out the video:

http://www.lo-mac.com/movies.php