Sign in to follow this  
MegaRutto

Goin' crazy with MANHATTAN

Hi guyz, im playin' the campaign of this amazing sim (ArmA II), but im goin crazy witn mission MANHATTAN. After hundreds of bugs i've arrived to sub-mission "find the rebels", i found 3 little camps (2 west of the base and one west of Olsha), but nothing happens....im turning around like a crazy mushrooms dog. WHERE ARE THE OTHERS REBELS CAMPS ?? PLEASE.

And i will appreciate a complete campaign solution if it exist.

Thanks a lot all.

"Hundreds of bugs" sounds like some very old patch version to me. I completed Manhattan with 1.54.72888 and in multiplayer, but I met about 20 bugs only.

Enemy sentry camps are here:

Black Mountain forest at GPS COORDS 100037

Black Mountain forest at GPS COORDS 103034

Black Mountain forest at GPS COORDS 103039

Ostry hill at GPS COORDS 108025

Airport radio tower hill at GPS COORS 129025

(COORDS are ordered from west to east order, but I recommend starting in anticlockwise circle around the map by going downhill east from FOB Manhattan)

There are some walkthroughs but none of them is as detailed as I would like. and most of them talk about old bugs that existed in Arma2 patches 1.00-1.07 that have been fixed already. So some months ago I started to make my own which is coop (multiplayer) oriented but may also serve as singleplayer walktrough at least in some degree. It is still no where near finished or complete Harvest Red campaign walkthrough (if it will ever be), but Manhattan section is pretty detailed. It is located here:

I was pretty angry about all the work Manhattan required on Expert difficulty to get all tasks trigger and completed and all those savegames, loadgames, crashes, bugs and over all Chernarus map stuttering almost made me quit Arma2 completely. But if you think there is a lot of work or bugs in Manhattan, wait until you get to Dogs Of War mission. :mad:

Edited by Hanzu
coop

Yes unfortunately that might have been the only solution back when there were many more bugs in the game.

I have never needed endmission and I have played all Harvest Red missions after V1.54 patch.

I do not recommend using endmission cheat at all anymore, because it will create unwanted side effects. Using endmission ends mission in the current situation and it will not change any tasks/objectives to completed status. So if one of those mandatory tasks/objectives that were left to non completed status because of endmission cheat, it may create problems in next missions and mess up decisions made earlier that affect overall plot and the campaign alternative endings.

Beeing patient, using restarting or reverting from earlier point and using better workarounds than those cheats is worth it.

Thanks a lot for your detailed help !

I found some videos on utube about the mission, i hope to finish it.

I've lost the artillery support from support menu...only transport in available (another bug??)....some suggestions on how to take out the main base without arty ? Anddo u know where is it ?

Last question: ive downloaded arma from Steam...it will be patched ? or i have to find last patch "around" and install it ?

Thanks a lot again

Thanks a lot for your detailed help !

I found some videos on utube about the mission, i hope to finish it.

I've lost the artillery support from support menu...only transport in available (another bug??)....some suggestions on how to take out the main base without arty ? Anddo u know where is it ?

Last question: ive downloaded arma from Steam...it will be patched ? or i have to find last patch "around" and install it ?

Thanks a lot again

They say there was a bug that made artillery support to disappear, but I have never seen it. So it might be before 1.08/1.54 patches. Are you sure you didn't accidentally use artillery support by clicking some remote location in map without knowing it. I actually did that once when I didn't know how to use it (ordered artillery strike in the middle of Gorka). Another theory is that you have either used endmission cheat in some early missions and/or have not collected enough evidence or enough completed optional tasks, so HQ decides not not give you artillery support at all.

There are other ways to destroy enemy main base is located at GPS COORDS 100021 or 088048.

Try using UAV and its missiles to take out tanks, it may be shot down if you do not use it early enough after mission start. Use 2 APCs you get from FOB Manhattan. Give "green light" for Boomerang (another friendly APC that comes to assist you if you have earned it) to attack base. You can also try to use Starforce 2-1 guns. Also you may try trigger attacking base and then move back to kill them one by one. There are lots of great Antitank gear in FOB Manhattan. Go directly behind Cpt. Shaftoe and locate the armory covered with camouflage net and enclosed in sandbag walls. Go in from the eastern side near the UAV terminal. Take Javelin and SMAW and keep them with you in your back and go behind the nearby APCs located under camouflage net south of Cpt. Shaftoe. Transport equipment from the crates to APCs gear storages, located in rear and sides of APCs, until they are both full.

Steam should always autopatch its games when you open it. Assuming you bough Combined Operations and not Arma2 original only, if you see 1.57 on bottom left corner of your main screen you know you are at the latest official version.

Thanks again Hanzu !

Ive never used arty on wrong target...and at the beginning of Manhattan i had it...then when i call for support only transport appears......

I think that from comunications --> support i would have heli, arty and UAV...but i see only number 1 (trasport)

Dont tell me that i have to restart the mission again ....:confused:

I saw a video on utube where they moved on enemy base with an M1 tank !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uuGDr5QUXVQ

Where can i get it ?

I did not understand how to call for Boomerang and Starforce....

Finishing this mission is a nightmare....

I have read that taking over friendly M1A1 tanks is possible and I have only seen them moving around in Krasnostav village main street once, but I have no idea where they came from and so far I have not tested this.

Starforce 2-1 is your support helicopter in your Communications -> Support. It has 2 guns you can use. You can set waypoint over or near enemy camp and see if you can survive there. Maybe letting AIs to do the gunning since they see better.

If UAV is not in Communications -> Support it means it has been shot down. Disappearing artillery may still be the old bug reported here many times. If you do start mission over, you can use UAV to check where main camp is and use its missiles until they run out and then order artillery strike just by clicking map location where you want them to do the strike.

Remember also that if you do use artillery, there is a some seconds delay after choosing it, until it asks what type of strike you want to use. If you do other things while this second question comes, you may accidentally cancel the strike by pressing a key that is not one of those choices.

Do you know already if you use 1.08 (Arma2 only) or 1.57 (Arma2 + Operation Arrowhead) patch?

Edited by Hanzu

Im at work right now....:mad:

Ill check my version, but im qute sure that is ArmA II + OA.

I will try to make a pass with heli on the base...but i still have the "armoured problem"...i ll take some Javelin with me but man vs tank is always scaring ;)

Noob question: how to set waypoints when i call the Starforce ? Usually it only takes me and my squad where i click....

PS. thnak for your patience, i will be sad if i will have to quit this campaign cause of bugs/problems...

PS2: How can i use the endmission cheat ? (the last option to survive this mess)

You all are so gentle.

I thank you.

Finally i did it !

Ive taken out the two T-72 with javelins and then waited for Boomerang help for the final assault from the forest. I've investigated the body and now ive to report to capt.

Bitter chill is waiting for me.....do i have to worry about that mission ?

Suggestions ?

And what about Dogs of war bugs ?

PS. My arty support disappeared, UAV and Heli shot down (when i wasn't using them, they updated me by radio about the "fall") and not available. They will be back in next mission ?

PS2. How can i move the GPS from the map to the first person view ? I can only see watch (o) and compass (k) .... it might help me in my travelloing around ...hhheh

Thanks again to all of you.

Bye

Edited by MegaRutto

Next missions are:

Bitter Chill (can be completed without killing anything)

Delying The Bear (can be completed without killing anything)

Badlands (long warfare mission)

Dogs Of War (very long warfare mission)

Artillery support and UAV are not available in the rest of the campaign even if they would have stayed in your communications menu and survived.

Starforce 2-1 helicopter unit would have been available in Bitter Chill, but not after that. In Bitter Chill it will be shot down if you use it and you either die with it or take a long walk, so probably better that you lost it already, so there will not be temptation to try to use it.

In Bitter Chill you need to remember is that have you reported or touched Gorka weapons cache or not. If you have reported it go to CDF lines with Hummer if you have not reported it NAPA will transport you half way.

Don't worry about Dogs Of War before you get there.

Thanks Hanzu !

I'm following the guide you linked me, just to know before where ive to pay attention and waht to do.

I notice that you can "handle me" and ive another noob question:

How can i refuel and reload vehicles ?

Bye

Thanks Hanzu !

Bye

Zoom map for villages or towns until you see black gas pump marker. Drive next to it and you will see Refuelling text showing up and gas going up. Also in Bitter Chill you can refuel at FOB Manhattan gate by driving next to grey barrels. Also in east coast main road there is one gas station on west side of the road easily to be seen from the road.

Not really sure but I think repairing or reloading vehicles is not possible without repair trucks or engineer class soldier that do not exist in this campaign. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

Edited by Hanzu

I tried to ask for reloading and refureling with the radio but they always reply that isnt possible (but i have the possibility to ask...and so ?)

(but i have the possibility to ask...and so ?)

I think it only means gamemakers have not spend too much time customizing command menu for specific mission, so pretty much all commands are available in all missions and not all that have no use are greyed out or removed.

OK.

I will do the self service :D

Can you tell me where can i find the satchel charges to blow up the house in Bitter ?

At the armoury in manhattan ?

OK.

I will do the self service :D

Can you tell me where can i find the satchel charges to blow up the house in Bitter ?

At the armoury in manhattan ?

Cooper should have them already when mission starts. Just scroll your wheel in the house to set them. Make sure you leave house before 10 minutes have passed or you need to do some firefight with OPFOR (which might have negative effect for relations to russins later in game).

There is also a truck moving around in around FOB Manhattan road and Krasnostav road in mission start. You can get Gear from there too, but its russian origin.

Thanks Hanzu !

I'm following the guide you linked me, just to know before where ive to pay attention and waht to do.

I notice that you can "handle me" and ive another noob question:

Bye

You can also refuel by pulling up behind a tanker truck in FOB Manhattan to refuel, next to the helipad. I'm not sure about Harvest Red, but often in Arma2/OA, you can refuel, rearm and repair by pulling up behind a fuel/ammo/repair truck. When you do, your refuel/repair/rearm indicator will let you know this is going on. If your vehicle is immobilized, get in the truck/s drive them to your vehicle and reverse the truck until the back of the truck is tail-to-nose of the vehicle you want to refuel/rearm/repair.

Replayng Harvest Red now, and I ran into another possible bug. After using 81mm support option disappeared and never came back, forcing me to play Rambo aganist other camps and patrols. Were we alowed to use mortars only once during mission, or it's just a bug?

Replayng Harvest Red now, and I ran into another possible bug. After using 81mm support option disappeared and never came back, forcing me to play Rambo aganist other camps and patrols. Were we alowed to use mortars only once during mission, or it's just a bug?

It is not a bug. Artillery support can be used only once in this mission and in any official mission I know.

There are 2 good APCs, Javelin, SMAW and AI controlled friendly APC to help you. Sometimes even AI controlled friendly M1A1 tanks. So it you can get more help than John Rambo ever did. :rolleyes: