Sign in to follow this  
Rdkill

Creeping fog/visibility disappearing

Hello everyone.

Ok, I'm runnin a crap load of mods so I'm aware I may not get an answer..but here goes.

First off, the issue :

While playing, I use my own DAC missions, in this case, there are ~250 AI on map.

I get in a helicopter or other vehicle and head to the city, where combat is taking place. For proof of concept the last time I did this I simply hovered over the city for about 5 minutes, then it happened. Visibility (set at 4500 or 5000 i forget) started decreasing...its almost like a mix of more fog, less view distance. It starts off slow....and keeps going until Its literally useless to use any ranged weapon, from sniper rifle, to a tank. And its sure as hell not useful to be flying around in a chopper, let a lone a jet.

Visibility reduces to maybe...1,000m which is horrid.

I would like to know if this is a "trick" employed by some mod or arma itself to aid in performance...which comes to my other point.

All my settings are on high/very high minus post process because I hate the look, vid mem is at default, and set to 1023 mb in the .cfg file.

Hardware specs

I7-920 @ 3.2

ATI 5770x2 Crossfire

6gb ram

Asus mobo blah blah nothing else really counts.

Usage while in game before fog

Gpu : about %30....?? what?

Cpu (HT OFF) : 4 cores about 60-75%

FPS (fraps): 20-25...

After "The fog"

GPU : None....according to Catalyst...

CPU : %75-80?

Mods : @DAC;@CBA;@ACE;@ACEX;@ACEX_SM;@ONS-OA;

@INKO;@ACE_ONSOA;@ASC_WP;@ACEX_USNavy;@ASEX_RU;

I've dug through DAC's code...as i suspect its whats causing it and it does seem to have methods to set fog...but theres no indication as to why.

I can include the map in use if required, and im working on uploading a video as we speak.

I've noticed this too, and I think it is is actually a feature of DAC. The default configuration changes the weather over a 5 min period, so if you start off with clear weather it will become stormy over 5 minutes. This includes a decrease in visibility / increase in fog. You can disable it in one of the config files (sorry, can't remember which one).

I've noticed this too, and I think it is is actually a feature of DAC. The default configuration changes the weather over a 5 min period, so if you start off with clear weather it will become stormy over 5 minutes. This includes a decrease in visibility / increase in fog. You can disable it in one of the config files (sorry, can't remember which one).

Man I've been struggling with this issue in missions I've been building for a long time. All the common factors point to DAC. I'll check the config.

Thanks guys!

EDIT:

Wow it was that simple. I thought it may be my system. Thanks for bringing this up!

Edited by Manzilla

I hate to bump this, however I'm having issues with my view distance being very (about 1000m) short as well, even with my view distance set max.

I'm curious to how you fixed it Manzilla

I've also got steam so if any directories are involved that'd be the way I need to go. thanks

Edited by M_nation

Hello,

I have the same problem also probably caused by DAC and it is driving me nuts. It kicks in no matter if DAC is loaded or not or if the maps were made with DAC or not.

Has DAC changed some global game variable that stays even when not loaded?

How did you solve this problem apart from a complete reinstall of the game?

Ich konnte DAC gegen die Wand schmeißen!

Cheers

Alan