Sign in to follow this  
twisted

rotor causes heli to lift?

increasing the collective (throttle) on a heli causes the heli to lift away from the ground, but if the heli is pushing against a cliff face, does this also push the heli away from the cliff?

in DCS black shark it feels like it, not sure about arma2.

also the collective feels a little slow to get a reaction, but what do i know? very little.

The first line is a little difficult to understand. On the collective issue, are you using a joystick and throttle or mouse and keyboard?

sorry if i am unclear.

my q again, hoepfully better phrased.

applying throttle should make helicopter rise up, right? cause of the air pushing down on flat/horizontal ground?

but if the helicopter air is pushing against a non horizontal surface like the side of a mountain as the helicopter is turning, shouldn't that cause the heli to move away from the mountain surface not just go up?

this doesnt seem to happen in arma2. or does it and i just dont notice? or have i got the whole bloody thing wrong and should leave it all damn well alone?

I think I know what you mean...

If your nose is pointed up & you're almost vertical, increasing throttle power will send you backwards. Nose forward, you go forward. Wether there's a mountain in the way I wouldn't think would make too much difference would it? Or are you saying you've landed on the side of a mountain? lol.... Ok, I'm confused....

It doesn't really happen like that in RL.

At very low altitude and with no forward speed there *may* be a RL tendancy to pitch with the lay of the land, but the whole land-interface effected for choppers is far more complicated that what a mere game can and should be simulating.

Choppers dont really lift from "land-push", they lift from combined aerodynamic lift effect of blades actual shape and air compressing on top of air.