Sign in to follow this  
dougboy101

Texturing issues

Okay so ive come a wee way in making my map. and am trying to resolve the texture problems before progressing.

arma2oa2010-12-0919-03-20-71.jpg

arma2oa2010-12-0919-03-01-41.jpg

The "rock" texture on top of the mountains is way brighter than the other textures, why is this? Ive used the Paa plugin for photoshop, before i found it is buggy with arma2, could that have messed things up?

also i have a blurry as hell gravel texture as seen below.

arma2oa2010-12-0919-01-49-56.jpg

Is this caused by messed up bump mapping?

Finally,

what are the different texture extensions designate

co Normal texture

mco ???

nopx ???

nohq ???

Kegetys' .paa plugin does NOT work properly...!

Avoid using it - it can cause all sorts of issues with textures - don't use it!!!

If you installed the full tools suite you'll have BIS's Texview2 - thats buggy too - but it does produce proper textures...

Texview's main issue is that it doesn't like you changing directories within the program, so just avoid doing that...

Open texview as one window, plus an explorer window to your textures directory - then just actually drag the texture file (.png) to the texview window... choose "Save As" and don't attempt to save to a different directory - it'll be pointing at the one you just dragged the texture from - let it save back into that same directory - if you try to navigate elsewhere it seems to freak out, so just don't do that - same folder is fine, and you'll find a perfectly good and working .paa of the same filename in there when you're done...

If you redo all your textures with Texview, try again, and it's still looking weird, then maybe the issue is elsewhere...

Check out the Wiki link Gnome suggested - Texview understands the difference between these file suffix's - it understands the difference between "_co" and "_ca" and will save textures appropriately...

(it even does pretty good .smdi textures too!)

B

thanks gnome, and again bushlurker, ive remedied the transitions from textures as per the top one i think, however the nopx files were created using an app "crazybump" most nopx paa I find are green, but mine are blue-purple and made the bumping infinitely worse.

Im guessing the original good textures were ones i poached and renamed, and the bad ones were messed areound with in photoshop. Now i just gotta fix them bump maps.

I use CB also, blue is fine. Probably want to tone it down a good bit in CB. Perhaps the green you saw was in PS using the .paa plugin? (thats my without getting into channels reply lol)

arma2oa2010-12-1211-20-50-45.jpg

arma2oa2010-12-1211-20-56-45.jpg

so Ive fixed the transitions, but Im having great difficulty getting texview to play the game sadly

I dont understand the how to apply the 0.5 average color rule for the MCOs, and I cant get texview to output the normal maps as they should. Ive read betons tutorial and ive never used gimp, so its a little useless to me. There doesnt seem to be any texview tutes? I drag and drop my ***_detail_nopx.tga, then save as ***_detail_nopx.paa and it looks blue and purple tiger striped static.

---------- Post added at 10:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:51 PM ----------

So within a minute of posting i think i fixed the nopx, in Crazy bump (which i will have to pay for in 2 days :( ) there was an option"save normal map with displacement in alpha channel: I turned it to yes and all seems well.

I still need guidance on MCOs