Sign in to follow this  
34cool

Backup copy

ok, basicly this is a preaty simple Q, i like to make a backup copy of my CD's whenever i can so that if something happens i don't lose the game (it doesn't take many broken CD's to make you relize that this is a good idea). so my first Q is "is it legal to make a backup copy of the discs ?" i know you are allowed to make one copy with many games. secondly, "how do you do it ?", thks alot to whoever helps me.

1. My OFP license says I can make a single backup copy. You should find it in the manual.

2. You'll need the right combination of CD burning hardware and software and software settings to correctly copy a CD protected by SAFEDISC2,such as OFP's CD. Search the WEB and you'll find plenty of places that will give you the details.

Not all CD burners can burn CDs with SafeDisc2 protections.

Some can't burn protected CDs at all.

And just a tip: Burn at a slow speed, just in case. Maybe 8x.

no its not legal.......atleast not in europe......some kind of new law......

No it's not illegal, but if you sell or give it to somebody who hasn't bought the game then it's illegal.

NO im pretty sure its illegal...i asked codemasters a year ago and i got a very mad e-mail back with a link to an website of the europian union about this topic..

From "The Codemasters Software Company Limited Software License Agreement" on the last pages of the OFP Field Manual:

"YOU SHALL NOT:

- Copy the Program except a single backup copy"

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Speeeedy @ May 05 2002,14:30)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">well my field manual says nothing about that<span id='postcolor'>

US or European version?

What does it say?

Europe version...its a dutch manual...this is what it says:

You are NOT allowed to:

Copy this program

Sell, rent distrubed or lease this product or release it in any other commercial way.

etc (whole lot of more stuff which doesnt intrested you)

You are allowed:

to have a single copy of this program on one computer thats used for personal use.

Interesting.

Of course, I could copy my license agreement version and send it to you. biggrin.gif

Well that wont be needed *looks at his cd* sees its damaged....or maybe it is wink.gif

Well it says you can make a single backup copy in the original manual, but that line was removed in Gold Edition

Really *takes his orginal flashpoint manual*....no its the same line here.....

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Antichrist @ May 05 2002,16:20)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Well it says you can make a single backup copy in the original manual, but that line was removed in Gold Edition<span id='postcolor'>

I've got the European Gold edition and it says the words "except a single backup copy" in the OFP manual.

However, looking at the Gold's Upgrade Supplement document (with the Red Hammer logo on the cover's lower left side), indeed those words are missing from the license text therein.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Antichrist @ May 05 2002,16:31)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I seriously have no idea what version we've got here in New Zealand  confused.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Turn your OFP CD upside down. Around the middle circle, you'll see a string of letters and numbers. If it ends with EUxx (mine's EU00), then it's the European edition.

i'd tell what my 1.20 U.S. version says but i can't find the bloody thing...hope i never have to reinstall sad.gif

have to reinstall??? you got the cd........right?

so if you get the game you get the manual with it...most of the times wink.gif unless you losed it or *kuch* copied it *Kuch*

yes and you also get a nice pretty box. little books tend to get lost in 10 months