Sign in to follow this  
SINcere

Anybody that is willing to help

Hey everybody, if there is anybody who is willing to help me out and teach me a something that I would really like to learn I would greatly appreciate it. Even if it comes down to having to pay to learn these things I will. Here are a list of things that I cannot figure out (at the moment, lol):

Scripting (basically the ends and outs of scripting/learning the language and if there is a manual or something out there with the scripts and definitions of what they do would be great!)

Config/Function Viewers (How are these viewers accessed and how are they used)

Construction Interface (how am I able to access and use this module? Also how to gain money, use money, etc.... I set the construction interface module on the map and even though it says construction, when I hit the button it is blank and I am not able to build any buildings or defenses. In the same note, when I put buildings on the map and preview the mission I am not able to build any units or anything from these buildings so I also need to learn how to do that.)

UAV/ULB/Support (How do I set up these capabilities. I add the terminals and modules, but I never can access the UAV terminal or UAV backpack terminal and when I hit the RMB and select ULB, it automatically says that the ULB was destroyed! I want to learn how to set up transports/artillery/mortar/etc.... I have noticed that if I put the small support module on the map, when I preview the mission it actually does allow me to get ammo drops, artillery, airstrikes, mortar, and reinforcements/paratroopers, but I'm just not sure if there is more to it. The transports is something I'd really like to know.

Backpacks (I have only found that you can access the backpacks/ammo packs in the EMPTY category, but I'm never able to pick up any of these packs from the ground. I have tried using the synchronize and group option, but I'm still not able to do so, so I'm guessing it has something to do with scripting.

I think that is pretty much it. I have tried reading some of these posts about these things, but they are written in such foreign language to me that I can't understand them. Which is why I know whoever decided to help me is probably going to invest some time helping me and I'd be willing to pay for your help. Maybe we could do it by phone or IM or something. I just really want to learn how to create my own missions/campaigns on ArmA 2: Combined Operations (ArmA II/Operation Arrowhead)

Please help me!

We have a couple of rules here you should get familiar with real quick:

§9) Do not cross-post

Do not post duplicate threads in more than one forum simply to get an answer quicker or to draw more attention to your post.

You have a similiar thread already here.

§22) Use descriptive thread titles

If you start a new thread, please make sure your thread title explains what you want without forcing people to read through your post first. Thread titles such as "How in the world do I...", "Need help!" or "Will we ever see..." are anything but descriptive. We do not allow these kind of titles and threads with such titles are subject to be closed.

Thank you Gunter. I have been reading through everything, but I have yet to be able to figure any of it out. I keep trying to use the scripts to add backpacks and stuff but everytime I add the script into the intialization and ive tried every other box as well, it never works so I'm missing something. I did figure out how to access the functions/config viewer though. I thought they were two seperate viewers but I guess I was wrong. thank you for pointing me in the right direction. I looked all over the forums and stuff, but when you dont actually know exactlly what you're looking for it's hard to find it. If you have any tips or anything please feel free to give them because I really want to figure this out.

Edited by SINcere
what i wrote was innappropriate

Your welcome, theres commands that you can use for what you pmed me about,

try them without the name, to see how they work.

As for your little bit about Wolle, I wouldn't go there, hes doing what the moderators do best, keep order in the forums,

I probably would have said something to you about your post but didn't think of it.

Wolle is only pointing out the rules to you its his job to do so, If you actually reviewed the rules you would see that is what he posted,

he really didn't say anything to you other then show you the rules, but if you cant handle that then i suggest you not post anymore,

and or find another game to play. beginner or not rules apply to everyone.

not trying to be rude or disrespectful I'm just trying to make sure you understand.

The last thing you want to do is piss these guys off with smart remarks, and then get yourself banned,

if you need help ask, but follow the rules and leave it at that, all the extra stuff aint needed,

dont take it personal what he tells you, someone has to say it the way it should be said and Wolle is a good man for it,

dont fight the system you wont win, its here to help you.

Anyways anymore questions dont hesitate to ask.

Uh... yeah. I usually try to help people who post questions (even in non-descriptive thread titles). But, I tend to lose the incentive to help when the person requesting it is rude.

Maybe it is just me. Gunter is clearly a better person than I am. :D

i have edited my post and apologized greatly for the way that i misunderstood the post. i guess i should post a public apology to WOlle so everybody knows that i know that i was wrong. WOlle I apologize. Sorry for overreacting.

Well done, SINcere... :) It takes a big man to publicly apologize like that.

Scripting is really the only thing I can help with, I think. The best way to learn IMHO is to figure out something you want to do with a script. Something as simple as spawn an AI, have him move from point A to point B, or something like that, then look around for code examples and learn from them.

One of the best resources is still OFPEC.com. The forums there have great stuff. Including a plugin for Notepad ++ that will provide sqf syntax hilighting. There is also a newer tool called Squint, by sbsmac, that does much of the same stuff (and more).

Mostly search here and at OFPEC. Chances are, whatever you want to do, someone has done something similar, and you can see what they did.

And, if you have a specific question (after searching) post the question with a descriptive thread title. ;)

Would have responded earlier today but my internet has been acting crazy all day.

I think you should start with something easy and simple, and go from there.

Learn by doing and example.

good missions are built with a great ideas, and 1 feature or thing at a time.

I take it your building your own missions right?

What is the general premise of your mission basically whats it about and what are you looking to do in it?

Is it an sp mission, or an mp mission?

Günter is perfectly right. It's been a few years since I began to code, and I continue to make "modules". Meaning :

- instead of making a huge mission, do little ones, juste with one effect you want to test. For example : "I want AI to spawn next to me" ; "I want an helicopter to come and land there"; "..." ...

Then, for each problem, make tests and search in the biki or in the forums. People around here are really willing to help. So you will be able to ask clearly "How I make AI spawning", "how I make an helicopter landing?". Each time, you must say if you working for MP or SP, as Arma engine behaves differently, due to locality.

Edit : I hope (an I'm quite sure) that nobody here will accept to be paid for help. We're a community, not sellers ;-)

Edited by Grimm