Sign in to follow this  
USSoldier11B

Soldier of fortune

I was wondering how much soldiers make in other countries. Here in the U.S. soldier's salaries are well below the national average. Here are the current U.S. military payscales.

Active Duty

National Guard/ Reserve

Add to this Basic Subsistence allowance:

Officers: $166.37 per month

Enlisted: Authorized to mess seperately: $241.60 per month

When rations in-kind are not available: $262.50 per month

Plus Basic Housing allowance

BAH

There is also additional pay for hazardous duty (i.e. parachuting, diving, EOD, combat pay) I'm not sure about the exact amounts. I know jump pay is $120.00 per month.

Australian Officers get $33,000 a year after training. (Lowest Rank) with $394 uniform allowance a year, and $6866 Service allowance per year.

Plus various other "Remote Locality" allowances, Flying allowances etc.

Note: Figures in table for active duty are per month. Figures for Guard/Reserve are per weekend drill.

well, you are some rich bastads are you? biggrin.gif

damn if we get the likes of this.

I'v heard the term "Soldier of Fortune" in a few different places. I must ask; What does it mean?

A soldier of fortune is a mercinary or assassin. Just a pun for the title of this topic.

When you do your mandatory military service in Sweden, you don't get too much. [Entirely incorrect numbers removed, sorry, havn't slept too much]

In Kosovo I got about 4200 €/month, but international taskforces are always much better paid.

Our officers have individual salaries depending on unit and performance, so it's very different.

when i was in the TA we received about 40 pound a day i think (only days we were active) plus a tax free bounty at the end of the year usually amounting to around 1000 pound and it went up each year

ack! Pounds, Euros, rupies..... Why doesn't the whole world just switch to the U.S. dollar. tounge.gif

Someone please post a link to a currency converter.

Euro value is relatively close to U.S dollar. So I get a good idea when I see those. 1000 pounds? Is that alot?

yes it is i usually take 1 pound = 1.5 dollars it seems to be around and about there or was last time i checked

I can't find salary table for Czech Armed Forces. My salary, I'm warrant officer, is approx 11000 czech crowns/month ($325; 359€) included some extras and taxes.

There are extras for hazardous duty, personal rating, some specializations, night time work, basic housing allowance, served years. I have salary comparable with the Junior Officer corps but it's bellow the national average. (I know paucity of people with salary average or higher than average  confused.gif )

USSoldier11B:

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">

Someone please post a link to a currency converter.

<span id='postcolor'>

Here you go

Denoir:

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">

When you do your mandatory military service in Sweden, you don't get too much. The first four months you get about 700 €/month  then the next four months you get 1600 €/month, which is not too bad. The remaning time you get an additional bonus that can be between 400 €/month  and 1300 €/month , depending on your unit, your performance etc. I personally got about 2700 €/month from the 7th month to the 14th.

<span id='postcolor'>

Now that's a f*cking fortune  smile.gif

Here in Finland when you are doing you mandatory service you get:

3,60€ /day for first six months (1-6)

5,75€ /day for the next three months (7-9)

8,25€ /day for the next three months (10-12)

and you get certain amount of free tickets for your vacations trips.

Now professional officers:

Fresh 2nd Lt belongs to wage class A16. He get's 1468,81 € /month

Fresh Sr. Lt belongs to wage class A19. He get's 1685,50 € /month

Now this is the basic salary. This doesn't include the bonuses they get when the are on exercises. Junior officers spend a lot of time on exercises so it increases their salary.

Generally officers wages in FDF sucks big time.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Here in Finland when you are doing you mandatory service you get:

3,60€ /day for first six months (1-6)

5,75€ /day for the next three months (7-9)

8,25€ /day for the next three months (10-12)

and you get certain amount of free tickets for your vacations trips.

<span id='postcolor'>

Ouch! How do you live on that! I couldn't buy lunch at a fast food restraunt here on 1 day's worth of that salary. You can hop a flight for free on any military transport in CONUS, as long as they have room for you.

Ouch! How do you live on that! I couldn't buy lunch at a fast food restraunt here on 1 day's worth of that salary. You can hop a flight for free on any military transport in CONUS, as long as they have room for you.

<span id='postcolor'>

Yep you are right but conscripts live on barracks. They aren't allowed to leave the barracks exept to the evening leave. So the only place they can spend money is in canteen and the price level is very low at there.

So the point is that the conscripts don't pay their living. The money they get is ment for cigarettes and coffee and so on.

And if conscript has a rented apartment the goverment will pay his rent while he's on service. 

Evening leave is normally from 1800-2100 (2200 for NCO's) exept on Wednesdays when it's 1800-2400 (0100 for NCO's). So because the "salary" sucks soldiers usually goes to the leave only on Wednesdays and they usually go to some bar.

Ack! Those rules are stict as hell! That's about like the privlages you have as a private in AIT (advanced individual training) the school at which you learn you military skill after basic training. On regular active duty you just go home or back to the barracks after your work day. You are not restricted to post, but you need a pass from your CO to leave a 50 mile radius of the area. You get more leave as you go up in rank and years of service. If I were to go active right now I'd make about $1,450 a month plus BHA and subsistence and jump pay.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (USSoldier11B @ May 01 2002,11:25)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Ouch! How do you live on that! I couldn't buy lunch at a fast food restraunt here on 1 day's worth of that salary. You can hop a flight for free on any military transport in CONUS, as long as they have room for you.<span id='postcolor'>

Fast food restaurant? Where are you doing your service, Disneyland? biggrin.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Fast food restaurant? Where are you doing your service, Disneyland? biggrin.gif<span id='postcolor'>

This is America you dolt. tounge.gif

Every CONUS Army post has a Subway and a Burger King. Plus some smaller restraunts in the PX. Plus most of the posts are within a few miles of a decent sized city.

Ack! Those rules are stict as hell! That's about like the privlages you have as a private in AIT (advanced individual training) the school at which you learn you military skill after basic training. On regular active duty you just go home or back to the barracks after your work day. You are not restricted to post, but you need a pass from your CO to leave a 50 mile radius of the area. You get more leave as you go up in rank and years of service. If I were to go active right now I'd make about $1,450 a month plus BHA and subsistence and jump pay.

<span id='postcolor'>

Yes they are strict. But normally there are a weekend leave. From Friday to Sunday. The begining of the leave depends from the garrison but where I served it was 1730 and the leave ended 2400 on Sunday. Sometimes the weekend leave begin on Saturday and end on sunday. Where I server the leave began 1700 on Saturdays. And then every soldier have a certain amount of personal vacations days they can use when they want (well they need the CO's approval witch can be hard to get). And they they can earn extra vacation days with good service (usually these comes from passing and getting good marks from certain tests and so on). And then there are the normal holidays like chrismas and so on witch are normally vacation.

Like you notice I used the word "normally" quite often. Because there are allways some people on the garrison. Their task is to give assistanse to police if they need it. (Usually police ask help to look some people who have get lost in the forrest or if they need to isolate a large area). And of course some longer exercises last trough the weekend.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Tydium @ May 01 2002,11:19)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Denoir:

When you do your mandatory military service in Sweden, you don't get too much. The first four months you get about 700 €/month  then the next four months you get 1600 €/month, which is not too bad. The remaning time you get an additional bonus that can be between 400 €/month  and 1300 €/month , depending on your unit, your performance etc. I personally got about 2700 €/month from the 7th month to the 14th.

<span id='postcolor'>

Now that's a f*cking fortune  smile.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Eh, sorry, those numbers are entirely incorrect. I was tired as hell and must have done some wierd currency conversion or something. The only correct number was the Kosovo amount. I relly don't know where I got those other numbers... confused.gif

Now, conscripts get:

66 kr/day = 6.6 € /day = 200 €/month

You get 18 €/ day after the first four months.

NCO's get an additional bonus (a one time sum) of between 1000 € and 4000 € depending on your rank.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (USSoldier11B @ May 01 2002,12:54)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Moral of the story is: Military wages are crappy everywhere.<span id='postcolor'>

Yepp. I am actually surprised that they paid us anything since it is mandatory anyway. International deployments pay pretty good.

In my salary class (A6, Stage 4, rank equivalent to SSGT) i get 1.692 EUR Brutto basic salary, plus 25,56 EUR supplementary bonus for outside field work and 51 EUR basic supplementary bonus for my post/status, that´s 1.768 EUR brutto/month.

In addition 35 EUR for special dutys that are a burden in terms of time, i.e. guard duty taking longer than 16 hours (24 hours).

In exterritorial deployment we´ll get 41 EUR-92 EUR/day additionally, depending on the risk factor and degree or stage the conflict is in.

Conscripts get about 7,50-10 EUR/day depending on their rank during the 9 months they serve in the Bundeswehr.