Sign in to follow this  
MDRZulu

Backpacks for US and Russian Infantry

Why are there no backpacks for the infantry? It doesn look right they have all the gear around their waist and a sleeping bag but there is a big clear spot between there where a backpack should be. I dont know if Russians have these usually but go look at picture of US forces in Afghanistan when they are going out on a mission they have huge packs. Also for the people who think troops should be able to carry a little more ammo it could make more sense if they had a pack. There is a disadvantage I can think of though and that is going prone you would have a big back pack sticking up in the air. Thats my opinion atleast im sure you guys will think of plenty of ways to flame me for this though so lets see it.

As far as i know, those huge backpacks or bergens usually contain all of the soldiers kit and belongings, but im pretty sure they dont take them into combat.

In combat troops drop their packs. They are too big, heavy and awkward to fight with. Since missions are short and not prolonged over weeks in the field, BIS didn't bother putting them in. Plus they would have to put another animation in of the troops dropping the packs when they start taking fire. To be realistic at least.

The backpack would have nothing to do with carrying more ammo. Standard US LBE's or LCE's (the gear around their waist) can easily carry up to 12 magazines. That's just another reason I think it's silly that you only get 4 mags in ofp.

They should drop the sleeping bag then and have a flak jacket.

Guest Scooby

Its not sleeping bag. Its additional sack where soldier has extra clothing, maybe little food, water, ammunition, etc.

Despite the fact that backpacks would look better visually in the game- making the soldiers easier to spot, i see no real use.

All gear needed for combat is usually placed on the load bearing harness for rapid access; magazine pouches, grenades, ABC protection mask, flashlight, charges, first aid kit, water canteen, utilities, etc.

Instead of adding backpacks for all soldiers, the loadbearing harness could need some redo, making it a bit bulkier and adding some things.

In the game why would they need the backpacks as the Island are small right they have no need to carry a large surply of food and ammo with them do they?

These are foot soldiers, not f'in mountain climbers going up Everest. You drive into, or fly into the combat area, and there you go. Then, at night, if you're not extracted, you're resupplied by chopper (brings food, water, ammo) and you're good for another day. If all soldiers had back packs, wouldn't it look funny if at base camp, the soldiers on watch had on their backpacks while standing guard?

-=Die Alive=-

After looking threw a s**tload of pictures of soldiers from different militarys i found some with huge ass backpacks, small backpacks, and the rest with none, i never came across one picture of a soldier with a dumb sleeping bag thing just sitting on his back without any back pack like there is in OFP.

Guest Scooby

As I said earlier. IT IS NOT SLEEPING BAG!

Well whatever it is I dont care it looks like one and looking through about 100 picutures no one had one so i think it should go.

Guest Scooby

And what might this be in this picture... "no one had one ", bah!

Everyone who is interestied can follow link themselfs because picture is so big that it would take time to load for those who arent interestied I wont directly post it here.

http://www.mil.fi/helsinki2000/katajanokka11.jpg

(Edited by Scooby at 3:47 pm on Jan. 4, 2002)

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Scooby @ Jan. 03 2002,22:54)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">And what might this be in this picture... "no one had one ", bah!<p>Everyone who is interestied can follow link themselfs because picture is so big that it would take time to load for those who arent interestied I wont directly post it here.<p>http://www.mil.fi/helsinki2000/katajanokka11.jpg<p>(Edited by Scooby at 3:47 pm on Jan. 4, 2002)<span id='postcolor'>

That's some really shit camo they got on there

The Russian "Sleeping bag/Ammo thingy/food jobby" get's in the way when you are looking over your left shoulder.

Guest Scooby

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (GFX707 @ Jan. 05 2002,12:00)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">That's some really shit camo they got on there<span id='postcolor'>

I knew someone was going to say that.

It could also be the sheet of soft material they put onto the ground to make sleeping, lying prone on sentry duty etc. more comfortable.

But soldiers (as far as I am aware) don't carry sleeping bags with them...

They got a poncho roll attached to their webbing they dont really need a sleeping bag. The troops carry packs depending on their missions. The SAS in bravo two zero had to haul around their own water supply and everything because they were staying out for weeks. If your just going on a little recce you want to take as little as possible otherwise you will soon be fatigued. I learnt that from personal experiance.

Experience of a light fighter forward observer,

We would deploy for weeks at a time living on whatever we packed along with us, and a smart soldier learns to live on as little as possible to cut down on the load carried in the field. That meant sacrificing as many "luxuries" as possible to pack more ammo (ie. scrapping the sleeping bag in favor of a good poncho liner in 30-40 degree weather and keep moving). It gets to where you break the MREs down before the mission tossing or trading the crap you dont want so as to lighten the load. A night-time movement to contact takes you maybe across 8-10 miles of harsh terrain in pitch black (contrary to the game, not everyone has NODS) wearing up to 100 pounds on your back (mortar maggots carry the most): radio, spare batteries, spare antenna, Sensitive Equip (cant elaborate), NBC suit (required) MREs, ammo, spare clothing, mortar rounds (even if you arent a mortar man you carried as many as you could for them), weapon, poncho, maps, etc etc etc.

True, you cache most of this prior to the actual engagement. But some have to lug the entire load into the battle (forward observers, RTOs, assistant MGers, anyone carrying mission critical equipment).

I guess the moral is:

Enjoy the ideal simplicity of the game. The real thing kinda blows most of the time.

On another note... This game f@#ing rocks! Its the best infantry combat simulator ever developed.

Yeah i woudlnt want to throw away my nbc. Some soldiers throw away the plates in their bullet proof vest to lighten the load. I think i would put up with the wieght.

Guest Scooby

I dont think that bullet proof veset with plates is common equipment for infantry.

Atleast we only would have shrapnel protective vest. MP's and such had option to use add on plates.