Sign in to follow this  
cmorris975

Make AH-64D glass impervious to 5.56mm rounds

I can't imagine how you could get a better shot off in combat than in a lab.

But a lab test rating might make certain pragmatic assumptions about range and a favorable angle of incidence, meaning that bad luck can kill you as always.

omg sanity dealing with the actual values of the mighty attack helos. I think its a first Ive seen on this forum. I have no idea how much armored glass it takes to stop 12.7mm round (let alone an AP round) but I do know it takes at least a couple inches to stop a 7.62 x 54mm round. But im guessing 9 too 12 inches *might* stop 12.7mm ball ammo. I dont think many gamer types just realize how powerful the mighty .50 cal is.

It will shred the majority of light armored vehicels out there with no problems. If people are trying to say that a 8 - 15 metric ton armored ground vechicle has way less armor than 5.5 ton helo you might want to think about it. Hell a 50cal can kill a BMP without too much trouble.

Most attack helos have redundant systems, like having 2 engines which is why you see manufactor specs of such things as can survive 23mm cannon hits. More likely, a singluar hit too a redudant part.

Pretty much everything in the arma series is way over armored in comparison to the real deal.

IIRC, .50 BMG AP can pierce 9 inches of concrete reliably. Mightn't certain types of glass armor be stronger than concrete? The glass probably is designed to shatter one bullet and then you hope there aren't any more hitting the same spot. Which is a good bet for a fast-moving chopper.

I guess it depends on what you mean by strong. Concrete is hard and shatters. Bullet proof glass I think is more plastic and captures the bullet instead of moving out of its way.

I also think angle of the glass is likely to deflect rounds as well as presenting a thicker target...