Sign in to follow this  
TRexian

JTD Mines 05a public beta

Hmmm... honestly, I never thought to direct it to a static object like that. :)

I'll have to test it and see what happens. Generally, though, I think that an AP mine would have very little effect against a target like that.

Also, it may have something to do with how I had to 'design' the explosion. The actual damage effect starts at a point about 10m in front of the mine. If there is an object there that is a terrain feature (like a house), it may stop the explosion from really happening. It may think of it as happening under the ground. I'm not sure how to get around that.

With the trigger, it should be any vehicle - any unit, any car/truck/track, and even any air asset that is lower than a few meters. Now, with the claymore, if you sprint across the trigger, there is a chance it won't be registered, so no explosion. Oh - there's also a chance of a misfire, that is... no explosion at all. It is a small chance, though.

Have you tried to detonate multiple mines yet? That's a new feature that I haven't completely worked all the kinks out of yet. For instance, sometimes you get the option to detonate all live, but you don't have any placed, or at least, don't have any placed with their safeties off. Still trying to figure out a way to make that more consistent. :)

Yeah, it probably stops the explosion from happening, since the smoke-effect and sound is there, but not the actual damaging explosion. It detonates using the tripwire, but yeah, there's no actuall explosion when the mine is within 1-2 metres of an object.

I think I tried detonating multiple mines, but I'll look into that more later. :)

Edit: I'm pretty sure you're righting, when facing away from the building (or along side it) the mine detonates correctly, but when faced against the building, it only produces the smoke and sound, and no damage.

Oh, and detonating multiple mines work, but you get the detonate-option even if their safety is on, however, you can't detonate them then, so I don't really think it's a problem, you'll just have to remember to put their safety off, just in real life I guess, :)

Edited by McNools

Spent some time with latest version (JTD_Mines_DevC_1112.zip) and awesome work TRex! Love it even if there still are some issues...

First time I tried to aim a Claymore it seemed to work ok, but when trying later on it seems like the view was moved backwards/left/right etc. when using the AWSD keys.

This was on flat ground (Utes) and as you already know there are issues when placing and aiming the Claymore on sloped terrain, I only tried once and the Claymore was ~3 m up in the air. I haven't had a chance to try it in MP so this was SP in the editor.

Also agree with the comment that McNools wrote about the delay on the bounding mines feels a bit to long. Maybe we could hook up someday to test it in MP maybe, I see McNools is a Swede as me.

Anyway nice work and I'm looking forward to test any upcoming version you may release and if you take requests maybe a generic AP mine like the one Subroc did would be a nice addition ;)

/KC

Edited by KeyCat

haha

No worries about requests. :) Of course, no guarantees, but I can probably do something. What would you like to see, as in 3d model and such?

I'll have to take another look at the sight-in feature. If it is too buggy, I may remove it. I don't want it to be an immersion killer. It may be as simple a fix as setposATL instead of setpos.

I think I will tweak the boundings such that the command detonation is immediate, but the editor placed/tripwire ones have the delay. IRL, there is a delay for them (so the guy who stepped on it will move off a bit and not absorb all the shrapnel).

Thanks alot guys!

I'll have to take another look at the sight-in feature. If it is too buggy, I may remove it. I don't want it to be an immersion killer. It may be as simple a fix as setposATL instead of setpos.

I think I will tweak the boundings such that the command detonation is immediate, but the editor placed/tripwire ones have the delay. IRL, there is a delay for them (so the guy who stepped on it will move off a bit and not absorb all the shrapnel).

Yeah, if you can't get it to work, it's better to remove it, for now at least. :) By the way, is the claymore sighted in automatically if I just remove the safety, so it should detonate in case I move infront of it even if I haven't sighted it in myself?

And I agree that the delay is good. Another good thing about it is that the player will have time to see the mine and go "oh sh-" before getting blown sky-high, instead of just getting blown sky-high, haha.

Claymore sighting - yeah, the claymore automatically gets placed facing in the direction the player is, at a random pitch that is basically within the parameters I've found to be most effective. The only time I really sight in claymores now is if I'm setting an ambush for a specific area, like between buildings or something.

What would you like to see, as in 3d model and such?

I'm not 100% sure but I think Subroc just shrinked the BIS AT mine object and IMO it suits fine for a generic AP mine and looks ok when placed a bit below groundlevel, maybe you can reuse his 3D model (with his permission of course)?

Also, keeping the generic one as simple as possible (script wise) with as little performance hit as possible would be preferable when using lots of them via script.

Thanks alot guys!

No - THANK YOU! :)

/KC

Edited by KeyCat

Is it possible for you to make em to be able to equip in cars? Could make IEDs with that!

Claymore sighting - yeah, the claymore automatically gets placed facing in the direction the player is, at a random pitch that is basically within the parameters I've found to be most effective. The only time I really sight in claymores now is if I'm setting an ambush for a specific area, like between buildings or something.

Ah, that's good, much more practical. :)

Still, they don't seem to work for me without tripwires or manual detonation. :/

Ok, lads - good stuff.

1 - generic AP mine: I could probably do something like that. I guess the attributes I would work in would be modest damage (killing w/in 5m, injuries out to 10), about a 3m circular trigger around them, along those lines. I can do the 3d model - might base it off of some WWII era stuff.

2 - mines on vehicles: I am aware of anecdotes from the 1980s of guys affixing claymores to the outside of vehicles, and using them against ambushes, but I'm not sure the functionality is really there in A2. Probably better to rely on one of the scripted solutions for VBIEDs.

3 - "they don't seem to work for me without tripwires or manual detonation": what do you mean? :) Like, the editor-placed don't work now? Or the spawning? I *do* need to finish up the scripts for spawning - hopefully by the end of the week. But, otherwise, for player-placed mines, those are the only 2 methods of detonation. :)

3 - "they don't seem to work for me without tripwires or manual detonation": what do you mean? :) Like, the editor-placed don't work now? Or the spawning? I *do* need to finish up the scripts for spawning - hopefully by the end of the week. But, otherwise, for player-placed mines, those are the only 2 methods of detonation. :)

They don't detonate, user-placed claymores that is, editor-placed claymores seems to work fine though. But yeah, user-placed claymores don't detonate for me unless I use tripwires or set them off manually.

But yeah, user-placed claymores don't detonate for me unless I use tripwires or set them off manually.

:D Those are the only 2 ways to detonate them IRL, as far as I know.

Is there some other detonation method you would like to use? :)

:D Those are the only 2 ways to detonate them IRL, as far as I know.

Is there some other detonation method you would like to use? :)

Oh! I thought they could detonate with motion-sensors when you run infront of them? I thought that's what sighting them in was all about, maybe I've misunderstood it completely? haha. :D

haha

No - they need some sort of detonation. :)

haha, ah, that explains why they didn't detonate them! That takes care of that problem, haha.