Sign in to follow this  
smacker909

performance question

I noticed that running the Eo2 spec ops with ambient combat and civs on, runs smooth in the desert maps, but in the city with more civs, I'm running around 30 fps with lots of stutters (FPS drops to below 10 then jumps back up) . Is that a scripting thing? or is my graphics are not able to cut it. I'm only running medium settings "normal" for most settings.. I did use the -cpuCount=4 option.. and that did seem to help some, but still getting major stutters.

CPU i7 860

CPU GTX 260

RAM 6GB

What did you expect?

Artificial Intelligence pays a heavy cost on the CPU. GPU has nothing to do here, although they could try to use GPU to process AI too?? (just a comment). FPS go down because of the large amount of AI. It's perfectly normal in my opinion. Besides Ambient civilian on VTS 3.5, Warfare and so on, LAGS a LOT.

no thanks

Erm... It wasn't a question. Those are the places you should have posted this, instead of cluttering up the forums.

I didn't expect anything. I just asked a question. Thanks for the answer.

---------- Post added at 04:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:25 PM ----------

Simon.. no

Simon.. no

Again, I asked no question, thus rendering your reply to me complete nonsense. :rolleyes:

Keep up the good work.. you'll have these forums cleaned up in no time ;)

Performance in the city areas is generally bad. The new beta patch helps smooth the framerates out a bit, but even then it still hovers around 35fps and occasional stutters with my rig. Hopefully this will be improved soon.

the game is like this no matter what. rise of flight is also this way because of its complex wind, damage model and bullet trajectory calculations, although it is much better in performance due to less clutter.

i would settle for intelligent simulacrums of actual calculations if they can improve performance drastically, but hardcore players might not want that, and face it, they are who bis caters to. my other theory on poor performance is that the lod system needs an update. cities are absolutely cluttered, and perhaps need even lower levels of lod switching at closer distances. and the lod system itself might not be very optimized, which is why people report stuttering in instances of rapid switching.

i have the beta patch and updated drivers btw. hardware and software's fine and optimized. other games run 80fps average, etc. basically... i have upgraded my computer twice recently, once as a performance upgrade on old hardware, and once because of a faulty motherboard. having tried several variations of hardware and settled on an i7 930, triple channel 3gb(32bit windows), and 9800gtx+, i can say it's quite staggering how little difference there is, relatively speaking, between my old amd 5600+ and my current rig.

cranking down your graphics options probably won't help either because it's mainly the cpu that is taking the brunt of the calculations. your graphics card probably isn't even being challenged. i tested and confirmed this by switching to high and low, and noticing little difference in performance.