Sign in to follow this  
SuperRobotJesus

A2 & OA Performance

I know a tonne of threads are around discussing the performance issues of A2; I've had the game since it was released and been on these forums likewise.

However, there's so many threads the search function isn't super useful for this topic so...

My system specs are:

i7 oc to 3.4ghz

6GB ram

W7 64bit

ati 4850

I've NEVER been able to run Arma 2 to an acceptable standard. I've been able to play through the campaign (although at the time bugs meant it was broken) but with everything turned down to off/low, and I'd STILL get huge stuttering/awful fps.

Every few months I see there's been a couple new patches and I reinstall/update only to be disappointed again and uninstall. I loved the OFP games and I so badly want an Arma game that I can actually enjoy playing - I've spent however many £s with Arma1 Gold, and now Arma 2 still unable to actually enjoy an Arma game due to the massive performance issues, however after playing the demo of OA yesterday I'm wondering if Bis have sorted all this out? Running the game 1920x1200 on whatever the demo defaulted to (medium>high I think) I saw no stuttering or inconsistent fps.

My first question is... I last tried Arma 2 @ 1.05, and the fps issues still forced me to uninstall. Has there been the MASSIVE performance optimisation needed between 1.05 and 1.07 to warrant another attempt?

My other question is, what about Operation Arrowhead. I'm aware the demo didn't feature any dense urban environments. I know they aren't a big part of the new map, but as far as I know they are still there in places. If I spend yet more money on this now, will I only find the same problems with the actual campaign, i.e. more than 20 enemies on screen, vehicles/buildings crippling the fps?

Thanks in advance for any help, I really want to put off all the important things I need to do by sitting here on an Arma game for a week straight rather than just collecting the discs -_-

I get 30FPS Lock in singleplayer.

In multiplayer avg fps is 56

High 85

Lowest 12

Blame my CPU too slow, cant handle SP Campaign heavy scripts.

Smooth, but sometimes uneven lags.

Edited by avengerzx

I know a tonne of threads are around discussing the performance issues of A2; I've had the game since it was released and been on these forums likewise.

However, there's so many threads the search function isn't super useful for this topic so...

My system specs are:

i7 oc to 3.4ghz

6GB ram

W7 64bit

ati 4850

I've NEVER been able to run Arma 2 to an acceptable standard. I've been able to play through the campaign (although at the time bugs meant it was broken) but with everything turned down to off/low, and I'd STILL get huge stuttering/awful fps.

Every few months I see there's been a couple new patches and I reinstall/update only to be disappointed again and uninstall. I loved the OFP games and I so badly want an Arma game that I can actually enjoy playing - I've spent however many £s with Arma1 Gold, and now Arma 2 still unable to actually enjoy an Arma game due to the massive performance issues, however after playing the demo of OA yesterday I'm wondering if Bis have sorted all this out? Running the game 1920x1200 on whatever the demo defaulted to (medium>high I think) I saw no stuttering or inconsistent fps.

My first question is... I last tried Arma 2 @ 1.05, and the fps issues still forced me to uninstall. Has there been the MASSIVE performance optimisation needed between 1.05 and 1.07 to warrant another attempt?

My other question is, what about Operation Arrowhead. I'm aware the demo didn't feature any dense urban environments. I know they aren't a big part of the new map, but as far as I know they are still there in places. If I spend yet more money on this now, will I only find the same problems with the actual campaign, i.e. more than 20 enemies on screen, vehicles/buildings crippling the fps?

Thanks in advance for any help, I really want to put off all the important things I need to do by sitting here on an Arma game for a week straight rather than just collecting the discs -_-

Latest Beta Patch for A2 is what you want, brings A2 up to OA. Or if you have combined ops just start up with the OA exe.

That sounds like quite the powerhouse of a system. The video card is probably what's dragging you down.

I had serious issues with shuttering on my i7 920 system (win7 64, 9gb ram), but it was solved by either:

Using startup parameters: -cpuCount=4 -exThreads=7

Or: disable hyperthreading in BIOS.

I average around 25 - 30 on the OA benchmark using a GTX260

thanks for the replies guy, I'm going to reinstall and try the beta patch today, along with -cpuCount=4 -exThreads=7

Is it worth stick some optimisation mods onto this or does the latest beta patch do enough?

Edited by SuperRobotJesus

Seems to be a lot better than when I last played, still pretty rough though. I know lowering some settings reduces fps etc. so I can't just lower the settings to get better results as raising some will often help... Is there an agreed upon "sweet spot"?

We have a sticky (Low) performance thread here. Please use that one instead cluttering the forums even more.