Sign in to follow this  
Subferro

Painfully low fps?

So I just recently got a new laptop for school, and since school is the primary focus, I opted for something less expensive rather than a top notch gaming rig. That said I figured it would run a few old/non hardware intense games, and since OFP has been one of my all time favs, I was hoping it would fit into that group. When I tried to run it, however, I ran into several problems. First, the main menu is scaled very poorly, I can't see any of the options. The only way to get past it is to move the mouse around until I can hear some clicking, then hit enter and hope I was on the right selection. Doing that I managed to get into the campaign, and loaded up the WGL1985 campaign mission Combined Arms (I copied over my users with the completed campaigns), and right off the bat, sitting in the back of the truck, I was only getting 10 fps. I tried scaling down the resolution, but that just made the window smaller, but without any change in visual quality. Any ideas as to why its this bad?

Specs

Toshiba Satellite Pro

15.6 inch widescreen

Intel Core 2 duo 2.1GHz

3 gigs of ram

Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 4500MHD

Now, I know the video card is abysmal, but surely its better than what OFP needs? and the other specs are better than anything I've played it on before...

Thanks for any help

Your laptop is more than enough to play OFP.

Try to run OFP in windowed mode first, so at least you will be able to see the options and setup your keys, videos options etc...

http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Category:Operation_Flashpoint:_Startup_Parameters

If you have Resistance, do not use terrain detail higher than Normal

The view distance can be a problem too, when playing the original campaign, do not use more than 900 view distance, apparently the OFP&Resistance campaigns were made with that, higher could break some detection triggers.

So, oddly enough switching from Direct3D HW T&L to Direct3D solved many of my issues. I can now see menus, and fps doubled, tripled in some places. I still need to do a few tweaks to get it consistently high, but this is much, much better than it was before.