Sign in to follow this  
FraG_AU

GTX295 LocalVRAM question

Hiyas, looking at the CFG files too see if there is anything there that could explain the sudden loss of SLi after going MP.

One thing i notice is that my adapter being a GTX295 comes up with 1722146817 as the total ram figure. Now thats ~1792 Mb RAM.. and that is wrong card has 2x896Mb, in no way does a GTX295 used shared memory so this should be 896Mb (in bits). Could this be causing the card to break SLi? Ie game is trying to access too much memory on the GPU?

Any ideas, I can;t try anything at the moment as my game is locked out of activation by securerom so can't test anything just yet.

Hrmm makes me wonder. .. Can anyone who has SLi going post up their CFG's so I can compare please? :)

Thanks!

i use that card... havent got a clue how to look in config sorry. but i thought the card had 1792 mb Ram? woul db nice to have a tool to say SLI is on etc. my german friend says in his nvdia control panel he has a option to turn on a green bar/indiacator to show ur SLI performanc ein game. he used remote assistance on my pc and found that i have not go tit, cos its not included fo rthe 295 GTX

Nah its not textures, just trying to work out why SLi on my machine breaks.. I have had it going on a clean install (Win7 and Vista) but only until I jumped in MP and then it turns to shit (my hypothesis)

Now I think it may be the server screwing some cfg file etc., and pehaps its some servers not all (hence I am having the problems)..

@ Nemesis - its in your documents.

Arma.cfg, if you get a chance can you cut & past your cfg (dont worry nothing like a key etc there).

Just curious to see if mine differs from someone elses who has it working, and the LocalVRAM made me stop and think as it should not be addressing my cards entire RAM as one entity since its really 2x cards in "one package"

Try avoiding the in game "Default" setting for video memory. Try it on Very High instead. I think that references about 640MB of video memory.

There have been quite a few people, with ATI cards, getting issues when using "Default".

Not sure how it applies to NVidia, but its easy to test.

Heh, I have tried every permutation of settings and documented their results, nothing in the vid options menu helped me "re-enable" sli.

Heh, I have tried every permutation of settings and documented their results, nothing in the vid options menu helped me "re-enable" sli.

Do me a favour and try just this one again. Pretty please. :)

There are many issues that could be explained by this I am filling in a issue ticket with BIS and need more examples.

Do me a favour and try just this one again. Pretty please. :)

There are many issues that could be explained by this I am filling in a issue ticket with BIS and need more examples.

Wish I could bud, but I am locked out as I have "activated" my key too many times. But I have tried mem at normal -> very high. Last setting was very high. When I get in again I will try for you :)

@ frag. does the game have to be running? or just copy an paste as it is?

this...

language="English";

adapter=-1;

3D_Performance=93750;

Resolution_Bpp=32;

Resolution_W=1920;

Resolution_H=1200;

refresh=60;

Render_W=1893;

Render_H=1183;

FSAA=0;

postFX=2;

HDRPrecision=8;

lastDeviceId="";

localVRAM=922484736;

nonlocalVRAM=2143780864;

Edited by Nemesis_wales
added

@ frag. does the game have to be running? or just copy an paste as it is?

this...

language="English";

adapter=-1;

3D_Performance=93750;

Resolution_Bpp=32;

Resolution_W=1920;

Resolution_H=1200;

refresh=60;

Render_W=1893;

Render_H=1183;

FSAA=0;

postFX=2;

HDRPrecision=8;

lastDeviceId="";

localVRAM=922484736;

nonlocalVRAM=2143780864;

Nah thats perfect, I may be onto something here.. don't know I have been grasaping at straws for awhile :)

But

your localVRAM=922484736; = ~880Mb which is pretty much right (880 close enough to 896)

Mine is double that

My localVRAM= 1722146817;

Non local = 2147483647;

Now I don't know whether the VRAM is detected or its simply set by detail settings.. argh when I get unblocked i;ll check >:)

Also nemesis I would suggest to edit your .cfg and change your render size to be your display size, ie 1920x1200. The slider thing says 100% but its not accurate. Image will look a tiny bit sharper :)

Ie:

Render_W=1893; Change to 1920

Render_H=1183; Change to 1200

1722146817 should be allright cause 2X880 =1760 -5% = +/- 1720,

so this works but it doesn't enable sli. crysis.exe does but don't do it!!! it will damage your card.

I'm sorry to tell ya but arma is still in Beta phase for the 295 in my opinion.

no proper working sli no nvidia driver for arma 2 ( they should it will be one of the best games in 2009 ) crysis.exe does work if you wanne burn your Gpu hitting temp to 95° and more. = solution; set fan manual to 80% = loose warranty, else you got about 20-25 Fps ^^.

only solution for now buy another video card. I know got same problem trying to fix it from the german release till now, still no solution.

regards

PS 186.15 doesn't help

1722146817 should be allright cause 2X880 =1760 -5% = +/- 1720,

so this works but it doesn't enable sli. crysis.exe does but don't do it!!! it will damage your card.

I'm sorry to tell ya but arma is still in Beta phase for the 295 in my opinion.

no proper working sli no nvidia driver for arma 2 ( they should it will be one of the best games in 2009 ) crysis.exe does work if you wanne burn your Gpu hitting temp to 95° and more. = solution; set fan manual to 80% = loose warranty, else you got about 20-25 Fps ^^.

only solution for now buy another video card. I know got same problem trying to fix it from the german release till now, still no solution.

The thing is tho altho marketing is around 1792Mb of RAM, the card really is 2 distinct card in SLi (What have become GTX275's just lower clock due to sandwich). Each card is 896Mb RAM and when SLi runs from my understanding both cards will have THE EXACT same info in there so you cant say you have 1792 because that would mean that both cards run in one memory pool, if that makes sense..

Also @ Goldkid - to give you an idea, my card can OC nicely to 700/1500/1200 (close to limits without voltmods), so for games like this where is the GPU slowing things down I run at 650/1400/1100 - Fan 60%. Even with these settings the card does not get over 55C! (ie doing no work =() Every other game hits 70C -75C mark.

EDIT: PS You will not loose warranty for setting fan speed. Theoretically you do for OCing, but thats theory.. Saying that I have been OC;ing cards since my first 3d card (Creative Labs 3d Blaster based on rendition chip!!!) and never had one have problems/die as a result.

@ Nemesis, just edit with notepad/wordpad and change the numbers next to render_H and render_W to corrrespond to you resolution :) It won't make a huge impact but will make things just a little clearer.

Edited by FraG_AU