Sign in to follow this  
alef

TrackIR lean unchecked

Playing with glovepie, I've found that the lean of a soldier is not checked for big values.

If you put 'faketrackir.x=1', the soldier will lean roughly 90 degrees. And can fire from that position. Bigger values will let the upper body rotate more and going in a bigger spiral far from the center. With a value of 30, you'll get a soldier 50cm higher than normal.

Edit: tested in MP. Other players will not see you deformed in such way, just lean as normal, but you can fire from the point you see locally. It's a cheat in DM/CTF because you can hide behind a corner and lean more than the others can see. Please address this in 1.15 or 2.

Hope this thread doesn't go against board rules §3.

Submitted in the bug tracker.

b206d-4.jpg

Edited by alef
+video

582px-Trackir-bug.jpg

Edit: uploaded to BIKI.

That's more of a visual "cheat" affecting your own view than any real advantage so the solution would be to...just not do that. wink_o.gif

I mean, you still have to poke your head out to shoot right?

Sure you could get a .0048 second head start running away once you get spotted, or they might think your army is recruiting the vertically challenged but not exactly a severe advantage.

Still, it couldn't hurt to lock up the function in a future (probably non-forthcoming) patch.

You didn't get it. The 'sploiter would see himself extremely streched around a corner, where you would only see seemingly harmless thin air. And it would not be harmless at all because that's where his bullets would come from.

You didn't get it. The 'sploiter would see himself extremely streched around a corner, where you would only see seemingly harmless thin air. And it would not be harmless at all because that's where his bullets would come from.

Exactly that.

The TrackIR X axis drives the lean of the soldier body, the same action you get with 'Q' and 'E' key. With values larger than 0.5, the leaning continues to evolve in non-natural poses, that draw a spiral. You can get extremely tall poses with other X axis values.

You can download GlovePIE starting here and test it by yourself. You don't need any TrackIR software or hardware. I've FreeTrack, but I don't know if it's required to replicate this bug.

ah yes, my assumption was that the lean was exaggerated horizontally mostly, and that other players would still see him.

Still, I'd like to think arms tends to draw a more mature class of players not interested in adreniline kills but there's always someone out there.

The developers really should lock this one down if they can. If it doesn't make it into the next patch I'll bring it up with NP and see if they can make a suggestion.

Not fixed in 1.16 beta.

According to your pictures, I would think the guy on the left needs an ACOG scope also.

As far as the guy on the right? Seems he alters his files.

I personally wouldn't play with him.

How do you stop it? :confused:

As far as the guy on the right? Seems he alters his files.

He didn't altered his files. It's just cheating the TrackIR input so you can lean that much. And this can't be checked by Battleye. The guy will fire from that extreme position without being seen.

For ArmA2, maybe BI want to encrypt the protocol, but maybe doesn't sound a good idea, like it happened for DCS, see the Freetrack thread.

However, I don't see any reason why BI does not fix this by simply capping the values of TrackIR input. I'll try to make a video on Xfire, it seems this picture and my words don't explain well the situation.

He didn't altered his files. It's just cheating the TrackIR input so you can lean that much. And this can't be checked by Battleye. The guy will fire from that extreme position without being seen.

For ArmA2, maybe BI want to encrypt the protocol, but maybe doesn't sound a good idea, like it happened for DCS, see the Freetrack thread.

However, I don't see any reason why BI does not fix this by simply capping the values of TrackIR input. I'll try to make a video on Xfire, it seems this picture and my words don't explain well the situation.

Or maybe the user just caps his own values... Oh! it may be a cheat in PvP, pfffit, another reason not to play on public PvP or "league" servers.