Sign in to follow this  
Blackfox34

kbTell help

I'm starting to work with the Conversation system and I'm liking it so far. I'm using Operation Cobalt by Zipper5 for examples and the majority of it works fine. However, I'm running into issues later on the misson.

For example:

Mid-flight a pilot gets shot down, and I wanted him to say "I'm Hit!"

The pilot is just a plane named C4.

I place the shotdown.bikb

class Sentences
{
class v01
{
	text = "This is Plane 4. We are hit. Going Down. Mayday! Mayday!";
	speech[] = {""};
	class Arguments {};
};

};

class Arguments{};
class Special{};
startWithVocal[] = {hour};
startWithConsonant[] = {europe, university};

Shotdown.sqf

gass kbAddTopic ["introduction", "convo\shotdown.bikb", ""];
C4 kbAddTopic ["introduction", "convo\shotdown.bikb", ""];
sleep 1;
C4 kbTell [gass, "introduction", "v01"];

Where Gass is the player. The script fires on the trigger, however, does not show the text, yet all my other text is working in the beginning and appearing in vehicle chat.

This is an easy fix, i just named a unit that is within the plane (P2) and change the files accordingly and it works!

The problem is later on in the misson. Same problem. The player is paradropped with his group and i have a trigger on countdown, when blufor present after 60 seconds, csmith exec "convo\tower.sqf";

tower.bikb

class Sentences
{
class v01
{
	text = "Gassam! Get your ass to that tower and take out those fucking communications!";
	speech[] = {""};
	class Arguments {};
};

class v02
{
	text = "Sir Yes Sir!";
	speech[] = {""};
	class Arguments {};
};

};

class Arguments{};
class Special{};
startWithVocal[] = {hour};
startWithConsonant[] = {europe, university};

tower.sqf

csmith kbAddTopic ["introduction", "convo\tower.bikb", ""];
gass kbAddTopic ["introduction", "convo\tower.bikb", ""];
sleep 1;
csmith kbTell [gass, "introduction", "v01"];
sleep 3;
gass kbTell [csmith, "introduction", "v02"];
sleep 3;
tsktower = player createSimpleTask ["Get to the Radio Tower"];
tsktower setSimpleTaskDescription ["Get to the Radio Tower and sever communications", "Get to the Radio Tower", "Get to the Radio Tower"];
tsktower setTaskState "Assigned";

_markerstr = createMarker["RadioTower",[5043.39,6885,0.00143433]];
_markerstr setMarkerShape "ICON";
"RadioTower" setMarkerType "mil_warning";
"RadioTower" setMarkerColor "ColorRed";
"RadioTower" setMarkerText "RadioTower"; 

tsktower setSimpleTaskDestination (getMarkerPos "Radiotower");
player setCurrentTask tsktower;

The script works fine, because the marker and task are created, yet the conversation does not. Is there something I'm doing wrong or does the communication only work directly.

In Zipper5 campaign, I noticed conversation was in group chat and such and direct a different time as I played through it twice. Sorry for lengthy read!

Hi

Strange it should work...

Please verify csmith unit, are you sure you you put on name field csmith ?

For your information, if units are too far the game will use a channel radio (sidechat, groupchat) .

Edited by EveMikado

Thats what I thought. So far the only thing thats been working is vehicle. The unit is named csmith, because his dialogue shows in vehicle chat before exiting the plane.

However, outside of vehicle chat within the plane "C2" nothing works. The other plane communicating to the player C4 does not work. When on the ground at the objective neither the dialog to the player or from the player works.

Ok if your units are inside vehicule so you must use this :

gass kbAddTopic ["introduction", "convo\shotdown.bikb", ""];

driver C4 kbAddTopic ["introduction", "convo\shotdown.bikb", ""]

you will have

pilot : blablabla in yellow color.

In this case you assign the topic conversation to the driver vehicle.

Yeah I worked around it by just naming other soldiers in cargo the names, so it's not really a big deal.

However, I still can't get it to work after parachuting to the ground. When I want the TL to tell the solider to take an objective.

BTW I'm doing this with I44 mod, if that has any difference, but I don't think it does.

An unit with a parachut on air is equal inside a vehicle Oo ? I never tested this. May be your problem is here.

Yeah thats what I was thinking as well. Initially, I thought this was the problem, so I changed the countdown timer on the script to make sure the units were safely on the ground. Yet still nothing happened.

I was curious about this too, because I realized it wasn't working with units from another vehicle (Pilot in C4) communicating to the player inside of plane C2 and nothing happened.

I also noticed that the vehicle C2 could not transmit dialogue to the units MoveInCargo inside C2. I'll try with the driver method you posted and see if that works.

The units are within the same group though, so I'm curious to why it doesnt work on the ground because it is key to my misson.

---------- Post added at 12:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:53 AM ----------

Tested in Vanilla Arma, the driver thing works for the plane. So does parchuting and using the same scripts and triggers I did. Testing in I44 and checking my spelling.

---------- Post added at 12:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:25 PM ----------

I44 update

Seems as if its I44 causing the errors. Must be the configs for the units. It differs greatly between using a C47A and a C130 with the identity's even more so between using the 82nd Airborne Units and USMC.

---------- Post added at 12:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:46 PM ----------

using the c130s you can still not here the text from the other vehicles with the 82nd Airborne Units. The text also changes from direct chat to vehicle chat, when changing back to the C47s.

Also the driver c2 setIdentity kicks in with the C130, however with the C47 i get the Generic Pilot Identity (not a big deal for me, but it shows there is something going on)

---------- Post added at 12:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:48 PM ----------

Seems even more so an issue with the units. I've placed them on the ground this time. I get direct chat dialogue, but not sidechat or groupchat like i should be getting. Gonna post information in I44 thread.

Too bad, this misson with either be have to put on hold or reworked for another era.

It looks an I44 issue, they have made some changes with some radio protocol inside the addon with some units. See with this team is your best way.

Just to let you know as far as I'm aware the only changes we've made regarding radio's (not sure what you mean by protocol as thats the term we use for the languages) is that not all units carry as radio item as standard unlike generic ArmA2 units. Only squad leaders and certain units carry them, so if the conversation system uses it, you'll have to manually add a radio item to all units you want involved in them.

Logical, if the unit does not have a radio... and of course it is really acceptable for an unit inside I44 mod.

Thanks a lot PacUK