Sign in to follow this  
[evo] dan

Terrain issue

I have been making a map in visitor 3 and have enocuntered a slight problem with the terrain. These pictures will help explain:

http://i283.photobucket.com/albums/kk299/sgtscuba/isle%20of%20man%20island/error3-1.png

http://i283.photobucket.com/albums/kk299/sgtscuba/isle%20of%20man%20island/error2.png

http://i283.photobucket.com/albums/kk299/sgtscuba/isle%20of%20man%20island/error1.png

This seems to be happening up the botton and right hand sides of the map. What might be the cause of this?

Map is 5120x5120 and uses a xyz that fits this. As you can see its not the original image that is the problem as the background seems to be fine. Could this possibly be because the sat_lco and mask_lco are not 5120 x 5120 or is it something else?

Sorry, im not sure of the answer apart from maybe you have gone over the limit in your layers config? or what program did you use to make the map? L3DT?

if so, did you make it with edge wrapping? not sure if this can do that, but you never know.

Can I just say, your image of the map is awesome, what did you use to get such quality?

I have never gotten this issue before, but the maps before had water all the way around the edges so i never really noticed. I used universal maps downloader for the images and then edited them with PS The size of the image is 3840x3840 if it makes any difference, maybe this is too small or out of proportion or something and that is causing the image to do this in visitor 3

---------- Post added at 03:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:18 PM ----------

also, only using the two layers , both are standard ones.

Correct me if I am wrong, but Sat_Ico and Mask_Ico should be 5120x5120 on 5120x5120 map. So you can just try to resize them to 5120x5120 in PS(Image - Image Size), maybe it will help. :)

You can use just about any size of Sat layer you like, as long as you enter the appropriate size in the Project Parameters "calculator" section...

The higher the res, the bigger the filesize of the final island...

So - you could have say, a 1024x1024 island with a grid of 10m, and just use a 1024x1024 pixel Sat layer - this'll work fine, but it'll look pretty crap since each pixel of the Sat layer will be being stretched to cover a 10m x 10m ground cell... - it might look adequate from the air, but down at ground level 1px = 10m = pretty bad...

This size is handy for quick tests though - it'll load and binarize quick...

For a "final production", a more usual size would be 10x... in other words - the Sat layer is made to be 10x the size of the heightfield - assuming a heightfield cellsize of 1px = 10m...

By using a 10240x10240px Sat layer on a 1024x1024 heightfield, each pixel of Sat layer corresponds to 1x1m of ground... so that 10x10m ground cell is now covered by 10x10 = 100 pixels - each of which can be a slightly different shade, etc... You can see how this would provide a lot better detail even quite close-up...

Generally, it's pretty difficult to physically get any closer than about 40m or so to the Sat layer ... any closer than that and you'll notice the MCO middle texture, and the hi-res ground surfaces with their clutter kicking in... so the Sat layer is really only what you see when flying above 40m, or what you'll see on hills in the distance...

At these sort of ranges, 1px = 1m, or, in other words, a sat layer 10x bigger than your heightmap, is more than enough...

Just like you can go lower if you want, you can also go higher res than 10x...

For example, you could go to 20x, and use a 20480x20480 Sat layer over your 1024x1024 heightfield... this'll work just fine - assuming you've set the preferences correctly... and it'll give you an impressive 1px = 0.5m^2 resolution - but your island size will double - or more.....

There's a sort of "diminishing returns" effect once you go above around 10x - the increase in quality often doesn't really justify the increasingly huge filesizes... anything less can look a bit cheesy for anything other than testing or temporary guide layers though, so 10x is pretty much the accepted standard size...

Thats 10x whatever your heightfiled res is, so

512x512 heightfield = 5120x5120 Sat layer

1024x1024 = use a 10240x10240

Etc etc

As a related example... since I'm mostly away from my main comp for a week or two I've been limited to a little "webbook"... good enough for texture work, if nothing else, so I've been amusing myself by working on a Sat layer for an ex-VBS island that's part of one of Wolle's many projects... since it's only a 256x256 heightfield I was using 2560x2560 as an experimental size... the usual 10x... however, since the island is just so small, it's one of those rare occasions where you can actually crank up the resolution a good bit... so I've been trying out 32x resolutions! that's 8192x8192 textures over a 256x256 heightfield...

Looks pretty good!! - but it's more than doubled the island size from around 65/70mb to over 150mb... all just experiments at the moment - trying to get a decent look, but I reckon once I've got some basic textures I'm happy with, I'll probably aim for 10x or 15x Sat layer at the most... anything more just isn't worth the extra MB on the filesize...

As for the wierd blue at the right and bottom edges of the map... theres a known wierdness on those two sides...

With true "island" terrains, unless you get too close to those edges any "problems" are usually hidden by water... if you have land too close to the edge the textures can occasionally appear "funny" - often tinted with your seabed texture or something...

With "Infinite land" enabled for "landlocked islands", theres occasionally a "hole-in-the-sea" bug which appears....

I suspect it's no coincidence that Chernarus has sea to the south and east - the bottom and right...

Anyhow... SgtScuba.....

Try adding this to your config...

class OutsideTerrain
 {
  satellite = "ca\CHERNARUS\data\s_satout_co.paa";
  enableTerrainSynth = 1;
  class Layers
  {
   class Layer0
   {
    nopx = "ca\CHERNARUS\data\cr_trava1_detail_nopx.paa";
    texture = "ca\CHERNARUS\data\cr_trava1_detail_co.paa";
   };
  };
 };

Just copy and paste that entire thing into your config... After the Latitude and longitude entries or something...

Do a binarize and test it in-game...

You may still see slight texture wierdnesses at the border in Visitor, but with a bit of luck in the actual in-game terrain, the borders should look ok... better anyway...

This may not be the issue, but it's worth trying anyway...

If it does fix things, then you can change those paths afterwards - redirect 'em to your own project "Data" folder and use you're own textures... but that code above will allow you to temporarily hijack the Cherno ready-made ones - just to see if it fixes things... If it does - repath the config lines and rename the textures with your own tag...

B

Edited by Bushlurker

set the image sizes to 5120x5120 and it had no effect on the edges of the map at all

---------- Post added at 06:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:37 PM ----------

bush your thing worked, the borders look a bit weird, but thats because there the chernarus textures. Thank you for you help yet again!