Sign in to follow this  
Tankbuster

Takistan Rhapsody CO & TVT 24

Takistan Rhapsody is a heavily reworked Team v Team Domination mission. Xeno once said (or words to this effect) that the Two Team version of Domination was his favoured version of Domination, but that it never got the exposure the One Team versions did.

So what is two team Domination? Basically, you get two teams of human players and they both battle the AI insurgents. Other than that, it'll be familiar to Domination players. But the two human teams, in this case, the British based in Loy Manara and the Taki regulars based in Rasman are actually enemy to each other too. It's sort of a three way battle. Of course, you don't have to populate both teams. Most of our testing has been done with just the BLUFOR in play. In this case, it's just like normal Domination.

It requires some addons. The TSC Mi8 for the AI to use, the TGW Thermal and scopes addon and a small addon pack spefically for this mission. It has a few reconfiged vehicles and the stuff to make the IEDs work.

Requires ArmA CO. Best sampled with BAF and PMC with the server in veteran mode.

See post 6 for download details.

The biggest change we made to the Domi 2.29 this is based on is the side missions. They no longer win vehicles, but abilities. Such as MASH build, artillery, repair point working and stuff like that.

We removed the wreck marker and also the marker in the artillery dialogue because they were making errors we couldn't fix.

The teams don't get any fixed wing and the AI aircraft are more vulnerable to AA missiles. On the other hand, they do have a lot of MANPADs too.

There's an anti base rape script to stop members of one team spawn camping the other.

The IED system is still a work in progress, but is functional enough to go out. You'll see objects in the main targets, some of which conceal IEDs. If you win the RSB (road side bomb) intelligence ability from the side missions, the engineers will know where they are, but other than that, they are hidden. Players might get lucky and spot an IED under one of these clutter objects, but equally, the might not.

There's 3 types of IED - an AP one which will usually wound the player who sets it off, a medium sized one that will toast most vehicles and a big one that will take down almost anything close to it. The big one is command detonated. Once you kill the AI arty observers, the big ones won't go off. The other types are pressure plate activated, usually you can approach to about 5m safely. The IEDs can be rendered safe with the IED disruptor. Take the disruptor from the ammo cache, crawl up to the IED and place the disruptor close to it, then set if off from distance. In operation, the disruptors are just like satchels.

How does the two team dynamic play out? Well, this was quite interesting in testing. In usual Domination, we all know our favourite places for the MHQ. Usually high ground, less than a kilometer from MT, but out of view. But now, there's two opposing teams looking for a good spot, not only to attack the town, but also to attack each other. The old tactic of spamming AT missiles from far is out too, because you don't want the other human team seeing your smoke trails and finding you out. One of the most important team tasks now is to find and eliminate the other teams MHQ. No MHQ = no respawn = town lost.

Other than debug, the RPT is clean and it's mostly fault free.

I'd like to give a huge thanks to a number of people who helped with this. Unfortunately, we lost our SVN and redmine a few months ago and so I lost all my development notes which detailed who had helped out. Sekra wrote large amounts of code for me and the side mission prize system is his work. Soul_Assassin wrote a lot of code too and both of them helped with bug squishing. Sickboy has been a constant source of help. Others who've contributed code, brains or ideas include Shuko, Loyalguard, Galzohar, Buliwyf, Hellfire 257, Muzzleflash, ST_Dux, CarlGustaffa, -=PA=-Mikhail, DarkGuerilla and of course, Xeno, whose mission this is based on. I'm indebted to all of you. The IED system started from a little acorn and with wld427's help, it's grown to what it is today. I'm indebted to him. Lincks has been testing this to death and I'm grateful to him and Rarius, Rock and Ballistic09

Edited by Tankbuster

Thanks mate. :)

Without you and many others. this just wouldn't have been possible.

Actually you don't need the TGW thermal stuff, it's only for the OPFOR player team to give them some thermal. If you do want to use them, I've bundled them all up in an easy-to-install combo install in the 7z linked earlier.

The TSC Mi8 will be removed in an update soon too and replaced by wld427's Takistan extension.

There's some updates to the IED system coming soon as well, which will probably be released standalone as well.

Updated release of 1.1. This is probably the final release as everything in my issue tracker is closed or in testing.

http://www.codemartyrs.info/downloads/Takistan_Rhapsody.Takistan.pbo.7z

What's new? Well the IED system is finished and working as well as it ever will. Each main target has a number of IED hidden under street clutter objects. Not every clutter object has them though. You might win the ability for engineers to see the IEDs on his map. A sharp eyed player might see them with the Mk1 if they look hard enough. The IEDs can be made safe with the IED disruptor which works just like a satchel. Crawl up to the IED, put a disruptor as close as you can, then crawl away and set it off from a safe distance. Sometimes the IED will go off but usually, you'll kill it and get 5 points.

Required Addons, just these two below.

http://www.codemartyrs.info/downloads/rhapsody_core.7z

http://pracs.dev-hell.net/separate files/PRACS TK Extension v3.3.7z

OPFOR players might want to install the TGW thermal addon but it's not required.

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=11589

Updated to 1.2

http://www.codemartyrs.info/downloads/Takistan_Rhapsody.Takistan.pbo.7z

Fixed n/w weapons limited array

Fixed ied functions not loading because an optimised, under development version crept into the release version.

Removed some server rpt debug spam associated with the n/w IED antihandling scripts.

Tankbuster, whether the version without addons for public servers is planned?

No, sorry. Without the Rhapsody core addon, the mission, especially a couple of side missions, are quite broken. The IED system depends on it too.

It's only two addons, can't you not stomach them? Or do you insist on a completely addon free server?

Its very a pity, because domi TvT is popular on our server otstrel.ru.

The server with additional addons is interesting only to community of this server. Casual players (potential members of community) won't put addons for one mission or for one server.

We thought to complicate domi TvT weapon restriction on classes and introduction of specialities for more a teamplay. But default domi is not ideal for such purposes. :)

I do understand - casual players don't want the fuss of addons. The addons are central to the mission. For example, the Scud launcher side mission is broken because the AI are on the independent side but the Scud vehicle is OPFOR, so the moment the mission spawns, the AI rape the scud which they are enemy to - side mission failed. The addon fixes this and other problems as well as making the IED system work.

Just so that you know, the OPFOR in Rasman in this mission are Taki Army using mostly Russian weapons and vehicles. I'd be REALLY interested in your feedback playing that team as most of my testing has been done playing the British from Loy Manara.

I don't know if you've looked at the mission, but I have implemented the weapons limited array so that only snipers can snipe etc, and the mission is ranked, but I haven't used the ranked ammo box so feature where zero score players can only use basic weapons is not used.

What I'd love is to get a bunch of your guys playing OPFOR and my chaps playing BLUFOR in the way Xeno invisaged this mission in the first place.