Sign in to follow this  
datter

Ofp vs gr vs cs (article)

Played Counter-Strike since the first public beta until v1.3.  Also played Day of Defeat, Frontline Force, Firearms, Sven Coop - basically every military-themed HL mod there was.  

I have had OFP since the demo was first released.  I had been waiting for it for a long time.  

They are both great games, but totally different.  CS seeks to emulate the intensity of close-quarters combat with a high degree of mobility.  That's where it's fun factor lies.  That's it.  Anyone who tries to compare CS and OFP is wasting their time.  That is also why CS gets old after awhile.  You can only play the same maps a few hundred times before they get boring and monotonous.  

OFP, on the other hand, derives it entertainment factor by closely mimicing real-life military situations.  Furthermore, its depth and freedom of play give it far more replay value than any game I have ever played.  New missions are very small and can be easily downloaded from the server you're playing on, so you're playing new missions all the time.  Not only that, but for each of those missions you have complete freedom to tackle the objectives however you want.

CS = "you know the drill, outshoot the other team"

OFP = "here's your objective, complete it however you like"

Ghost Recon - played this a total of about one hour before realizing that it only contains one facet of OFP (small infantry engagements), and doesn't even do it as well as OFP does.  But it looks pretty.  Otherwise, a waste of time for me.

Guys...chill..

OFP is indeed a really great game.  It lets you do more than in any other shooter I have ever played. BUT..

No Join in Progress.  I for one hate sitting around waiting for a map to end so I can hop on and play.  I think that's the biggest reason that I mainly play SP with OFP.

CS is the shit when it comes to fast adrenaline action.  Anyone trying to compare OFP and CS on 'realism' levels needs to remove their head from a certain dark smelly part of their anatomy.  CS isnt about realism. It's about action.  I will agree that the vast majority of CS players are punks.  that's why I only play on one or two servers that are populated by my friends.

If BIS adds Join in Progress with the reworked Netcode on Resistance, I will play OFP a lot more online.  The few times that I've played I've found the players to be more mature.

Liking both games is possible.  It's just accepting that they are not even remotely the same.  If you play CS expecting OFP or vice versa, you're going to hate it.

1.4 just released, and the bunnyhoppers hate it!  You can still jump, but now you slow down appreciably after each little hop.  It's a lot nicer.