Sign in to follow this  
HateDread

Scripting to Help Low-Vision Players?

Hey all,

A particular friend of mine who owns ArmA 2 will not play due to his poor vision. He has a particular problem that means he can't wear glasses to correct his eyesight, either, so I'm thinking out-of-the-box here.

Is there a way we can assist him? It would be nice to be able to attach a script to a specific player only.

I'm thinking things that detect AI and somehow make them more obvious. Is that possible?

Cheers.

- HateDread

There's a lot of "helper" style moving icons in the Boot Camp missions. You could possible scale them or attach them to AI targets?

This will attach a target mark floating just above a unit's head for example:

targetMark = "Training_target_EP1" createvehicle getPos this; targetMark attachTo [this, [0,0,2.2]];

targethead.jpg

Edited by kylania

There's a lot of "helper" style moving icons in the Boot Camp missions. You could possible scale them or attach them to AI targets?

This will attach a target mark floating just above a unit's head for example:

targetMark = "Training_target_EP1" createvehicle getPos this; targetMark attachTo [this, [0,0,2.2]];

For some reason that didn't work in a unit's init? Any ideas?

Do you have Operation Arrowhead? That's a new item from the expansion.

No I don't :(

Any other ideas? Lighting effects? Giving the red circle target thing in front of -all- targets?

If you are using ACE Mod there must be a way of attaching a glowing chemlight or IR Stroble to the enemy. That may help you buddy.

I can't seem to get them to work. Either I attach a chemlight using the above code with this "ACE_Knicklicht_B", which spawns an un-used, dull chemlight above the soldier, which disappears after a few seconds, or I try the classname for the 'glowing' varient, "ACE_Knicklicht_B_Used", which displays nothing.

Any ideas?

Could possible do something with targeting? I know the red target symbol might help?

Wouldn't your friend prefer to have something standard for all missions? I can't help you, but I bet someone over at the Addons section could.

Okay guys, now that I have bought OA, and so has my friend, I am wondering...

How do I execute a script like this:

Or any other such 'attach' scripts, for that matter, for all units in a mission as standard? Some way in which to load the script that attaches such a thing to every unit, specifically for my friend's viewing.

Maybe in use with a trigger, and 'thislist' or whatever it is, which covers the whole map but specifies only troops, vehicles, etc? Or possibly different markers for different types. Hmm...

Any ideas?

Umm...havnt done scripting myself for about a year now (only just about to get back in to it soon), but is it possible to just tell it to attachTo East? or whatever side you require?

Like i said, havnt done scripting in over a year and even then i wasnt good at it :o But mayby that would work

How do I execute a script like this:

You can put it (for example) in the "onActivation" field of a trigger.

Link for Trigger Information

Set Activation to: Raido Alpha

Choose: Repeatedly

Name: MyFirstTrigger

Text: RunScript

After you pressed "Preview", press "0" "0" for Radio commands.

There should be an Entry "RunScript".

If you choose it, your commands will be executed.

Thats for the real beginning. Please search for tutorials in this forum... there are a lot of them... if you need more basic scripting information.

I do know how to execute a script :p

And I've written a few for my own missions...

I said "How do I execute it... or any other such 'attach' scripts, for that matter, for all units in a mission as standard?"

Sorry, I should have made that clearer :)

Sorry that I missunderstood you.

What about the "allUnits" command?

{ targetMark = "Training_target_EP1" createvehicle (getPos _x);
 targetMark attachTo [_x, [0,0,2.2]]; 
} forEach allUnits;

Is this what you need?