Sign in to follow this  
mike070

ArmA 2 AC130

Is Predator UAV part of everyday combat? :rolleyes:

How about motorcycles or bicycles?

Yes, they are. Drone strikes, big thing now. AC-130's are used very commonly in Special Forces Ops. If you watched the CNN special "Taliban" it mentions one flying over.

I believe after one of them was hit in Panama they started only using them during night operations.

Edited by ryguy

They have counter-measures now for AA.

Counter measures are only part of the defensive against incoming AA missiles, pilots have also to make extensive evasive maneuvers.

I don't see it's going to be added into A2 officially by BI for the same reason dedicated fighter planes or high altitude bombers aren't added: the very limited visibility range (by flight standards of course), also the relatively small size of maps can be another factor - you could easily cover the whole South Zagoria region with only one .

As far as I know, AC-130s nowadays employed not only at night, but as far from the enemy as possible, often only within the range of the 105mm howitzer, in rarer occasions at the edge of the range of the 40mm Bofors cannons. The 25mm Gatling-weaponry sees very rare usage because of this, and as far as I know older H models even have the 20mm Vulcans removed from their equipment.

Also, realistically the Spooky would only fit into a campaign involving the over-hyped Tier 1 operators or other US SOCOM units, as they are usually used in conjuction with them. Regular foot sluggers have to rely on A-10s, F-16s and Apaches for close air support. As BI campaigns/games are mainly focused on combined arms operations, this asset right now falls out of their scope.

Although it might be nice if it would be added into a "Tier 1 DLC", but I doubt such will see the sunlight.

It seems these days when someone makes a suggestion or a request the "Experts" seem to come out of the woodwork to cloud the issue and sprout not entirely correct facts or some that at flat out wrong. The use of an AC-130 gunship in this game is no more ludicrous than any other piece of aviation provided by BIS. Heck it may even encourage them and others to make maps greater than the current 10km by 10km.

This aircraft was designed to operate in areas of low intensity conflict, where the USAF and its allies have established and maintained Air Superiority over the battlefield. It is designed to provide air to ground support for US Forces and its allies. So the vast scenarios presented by ARMA and ARMA II would indeed allow the use of such gunships. Do you really believe an A-10 or an F-35 has to see you in really life to kill you? The true ranges of many of the weapons portrayed in ARMA and ARMA II greatly exceed those available in game.

The AC-47, AC-119 and AC-130 have always operated at night, and there are good reasons for it. For example, like the design of sensors, the fact your average mom and pop aren't out strolling at midnight, the profound psychological effect of hell erupting out of nowhere. Yes, indeed an AC-130 was shot down, during the gulf war, and yes daylight was a factor. But do you seriously believe an infrared sensor head on a modern MANPAD system would care if it is night or day.

Just because you see video on youtube of fast movers dropping ordinance at request of “the regular ground pounder†doesn’t mean Specter or Spooky hasn’t shown up to assist them and others. You have to remember there isn’t a huge inventory of these aircraft when you compare it the fast movers (jets). So the odds of encounter one depends much on how many are in country, where and when they are tasked, ordinance required, is it simply a show of force (High speed sonic pass or flare dump required) and urgency of assistance are all factors.

To say that the AC-130 will cause major collateral damage if used does not truly know the capability of this weapons system. I’m sure there are a few “Just Cause†veterans that would disagree with that notion. Besides any weapon system if use improperly can cause major collateral damage. Many a soldier, marine, sailor and airmen have slept soundly at night under the watchful gaze of Azrael and her sisters and many enemy soldiers have learned to fear the finger of death from the night sky.

@Landdon

Before you rip my head off...

I'm not an expert, nor I try to pose as one. All the knowledge I know is from books/magazines/internet. Most of the times I only try to make careful statements, and also I listen to people who have direct experiences.

Also I agree with the points you make, and I'm not entirely against the idea of an AC-130 added into the game, but I'd like them to have it in the event we might have such big maps as whole Chernarus - not just the "tiny" South Zagoria, and also a dynamic view distance feature would be seriously needed for this.

I just simply don't wish to see a scenario where all my job is to lay back in a sun chair and watch the movie where the Spooky wipes the whole Takistani Army within 30 minutes from the whole Takistan map.

It would be nice in a DLC, but bundled with other SOC units, new features like the dynamic view distance and (unlikely to happen) a reasonably big map.

But I think DLC for this is not necessary as it is being made by community members. Speaking about that, I think I download it and try :)