Sign in to follow this  
IceFire

Question for you gun experts!

What kind of gun is this? It's the picture of the IRA soldier holding that gun.

Since I don't know how to post pictures or anything, I'll tell you how to get there.

Go to www.google.com.

type in "Irish Republican Army" without the quotation marks.

Click on the 3rd site down. It's a site about the IRA and there's a picture of an IRA soldier there wearing a black beret, a black scarf (what is that cloth called for soldier militants?) covering the lower half of his face, grey gloves, and a brown jacket.

His arms are kind of crossed and he is holding a fairly large firearm. Kindof reminds me of a big MP5 or something.

Please someone know, I need this for a school report.

Cool, can you post the pic here so others can take a look?

Thanks!

Sure, gimme a sec. Im not completely sure that its a G#, but the resemblence is uncanny

Thanks for the pic TEX! That is exactly the one I am talking about

It could be a G3, but it could also be one of the old Soviet made assault rifles.

Your best bet would be to email the webmaster and ask them if they know what weapon it is.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Frizbee @ April 23 2002,03:48)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">It could be a G3, but it could also be one of the old Soviet made assault rifles.<span id='postcolor'>

I dont think its a Soviet make. Look at the iron sights at the end of the barrel; that is trademark H&K. I suppose maybe the Soviets ripped off the design to cover their tracks, but I hadnt heard of them doing that before. I mean, AK-47s are more common than water, so why spend the extra money?

Its an early G3. Compare it to this pic from HKPRO.com

g3-g36.jpg

(Obviously, its the top one. Just making sure.)

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Aculaud @ April 23 2002,05:13)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Its an early G3. Compare it to this pic from HKPRO.com

g3-g36.jpg

(Obviously, its the top one. Just making sure.)<span id='postcolor'>

they are two different rifles completely, the G36 being the newer one.

The rifle on the IRA picture is definetly a HK G3. The picture is too low-res to say which version.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Aculaud @ April 23 2002,08:52)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">its the version i posted. Compare the foregrip<span id='postcolor'>

Eh, that's not quite enough to say which version it is:

G3A1 folding stock, flip over rear sight

G3A2 side-folding stock, rotating rear sight

G3A3 fixed stock

G3A3Z fixed stock, scope

G3A4 retractable stock

G3A4Z retractable stock, scope

.. and this is just the original G3 variations.

Hey IceFire, whats your report on? The Troubles? If so, being from N.Ireland I could probibly tell ya a few things if ya need some more help.

Your all right, it is a G3. The IRA used allot of the type I think. And I would wager the photo was taken in the late 70s.

Yeah Hawkeye. The conflict in Northern Ireland. Mainly about what is going on up there.

It seems to be a confusing issue, I've talked to guys who live in Ireland (not Northern) who don't know what is really going on.

The paper is basically supposed to be about the movement to seperate from the UK. Why they want to seperate, How the british have reacted, any symbols or flags created by those who want to seperate etc etc.

How they are attempting to seperate etc..

may i suggest that you talk less about guns and more about politics in your presentation? if you talk about G3 for 50% of your presentation, that will freak ppl out and call you a 'gun nut' biggrin.gif

True, your better off talking about the politics of the situation. Like for example now we have implemented a power sharing executive, where both sides have equal say. There is very little serious sectarian violence now. Most paramilitary groups are on ceasefire.

The gun looks like a homemade version of the G3, I may be wrong the pic is pretty low-res.

Dont pay any attention to the people from the ROI they generally dont have a clue biggrin.gif and have fuck all of a say in my country.

My tip for your project is to keep it a neutral as possible and dont belive what Republican/Loyalist websites tell you.

Local tv website http://u.tv/

Can anyone get me a pic and some info on a Russian gun called an AN94 cos the IRA just purchased 20 from the Russians.

an94.gif

AN94

Magazine Capacity: 30

Type: Automatic Rifles

Rate of Fire: 600 rpm

Caliber: 5.45x39.5 mm

One of the most recent rifles to come out of the Izhmash Joint Stock Company, the AN-94 features a recoiling barrel, which helps to significantly reduce felt recoil. The first two shots on full automatic firing fire at 1800 rpm, allowing great accuracy and hit probability. After the first two shots, the firing rate cycles down to 600 rounds per minute. It can be equipped with a grenade launcher.

And how do you know the IRA purchased just purchased some? Was it on the news?

Nasty piece of hardware that!

Heres the link i got the info from.

http://u.tv/newsroom/indepth.asp?pt=n&id=16892

Intresting that a piece of very troubling news isnt broadcasted. In the face of other developing issues ie. Adams snubbing the US, Decomishning arms dumps. Well you know what they say "out with the old in with the new". mad.gif