Sign in to follow this  
mark

text and voice trigger

I have been struggling through making a mission its quite fun learning all the stuff but have hit a brick wal with something. How can i get text to apear ont he scrren as if it was sent by a radio like from a HQ unit.

I can get text on the screen with a trigger like plain text int he centre of the screen but not on a radio like you get in the offical missions.

Sure its really simple but googled it but havent found a guide for this prob.

Cheers in advance.

You can use the sideChat command to do that. The following code would result in:

CROSSROAD: THIS WILL APPEAR IN BLUE SIDECHAT!

[WEST,"HQ"] sideChat "This will appear in blue sideChat!"

You can expand on this as well. To add sound to it, call the messages from a Trigger. Inside the trigger click on Effects and from the Anonymous: drop down choose Radio noise 1 or Radio noise 2. Both will result in an "open mic" radio sound, 2 being slightly louder than 1.

If you wanted to customize the name the text comes from, instead of the default CROSSROAD, place a unit somewhere on the map where he's completely out of the AO. Name the unit something like HQGUY and in his init file put:

this setGroupID ["HQ"];

Then when you have a Trigger with an On Act: of this:

HQGUY sideChat "That's a good job!"

It will display as: HQ 1: THAT'S A GOOD JOB!

Edited by kylania

@Kylania:

Would that also work if I named an object instead of a unit? Like say I used the Stryker HQ object?

Has to be a unit, not an object. If you placed a crewed Stryker CV it would work.

An empty one would work too kind of, if it had a driver. The problem is it would be said as the driver, not the unit you wanted.

cheers for the help :-)

If i wanted to play an MP3 of my voice sayhing an order that also activated instea dof playing the radio noise is that easy to do?

Edited by 96mgb