Sign in to follow this  
ryguy

"Talk" Waypoint?

I'm trying to create a mission where a character talks to another character through direct chat and then gets into a vehicle. What I'm confused about is how I would go about this, would it use the "talk" waypoint? Or should I use a trigger. I'd like not to use the "bottom" effect on the trigger but rather have the character talk in direct chat.

Also, does anyone know how I can set the "identity" of the character? (e.g., (Ed Winters): This is sparta!)

Thanks!

I would just start a script when a move waypoint is reached. Much more control than what you get with the talk waypoint. Remember that (iirc) talk is started immediately the waypoint is given, so you usually have to give first a move waypoint, and then when he gets there, the talk starts, and I even think you have to put him on hold if you don't want him to move towards the next waypoint as well, but I'm not sure.

@BIS: Does "talk" and "scripted" even serve a backwards compatibility purpose anymore? Does anybody use these?

Cool, what script would one use for that?

Thanks!

P.S. You make a good point about those two waypoints. It may be there simply to make it quicker.

Well, you'd have to make the script yourself to suit the "talk" you want to happen. Typical commands are say, sleep, doWatch, playMove, lookAt, and setMimic (no longer working though). It's just for short cutscene stuff, but "simpler" for me always turned out to be more difficult. A waypoint requires a mission restart. A script can be executed from a radio trigger instantly with a testunit without going back to the editor for tweaking.