Sign in to follow this  
deathguy

Trying to do a weapon with gmax....

Well, since I want to do models for ofp, I got myshelf Gmax, go trought two tutorials and now decided myshelf to take some time and try to begin something that looks like a weapon.

I would like to know what you guys think. I could use some advice because i'm begining at doing models and with Gmax. I'm not trying to try to model a real weapon, just trying to do a model of something that looks like one.

Here is what my weapon looks like:

arme4.jpg

Weapon, when I have begin.

Weapon, some progress.

Weapon, some more progress.

I got Gmax my self i am working on a pistol.But i dont know what else. confused.gif Ill post a picture when i have the time.

Ive got a few GMax models i wouldnt mind putting into the game either, but, unless you can find 3DS plugins for it and then d/l the P3d ripper and have the demo files to edit, its impossible sad.gif If anyone wants to see them anyway then ill send them to you if your willing to host.

BTW, does anybody know a site that has ripped demo models to d/l and edit, seeing as i dont have the demo anymore and my connection is pitiful for d/ling.

Well, its allways a good start but there are certain things you must learn before you can think of modeling for a game.

First off; When you make a new object, like a tube or a cylinder you have options like "cap segments" and "heightsegments". Those define how many steps your object should have in height and in radius. The less segments the less faces, less is better smile.gif

Second; There is a modifier thats called "edit mesh". With that you can edit, add and delete the faces on the object. You can also attach different objects to eachother and so on. You can find Edit Mesh under "Modifiers\Mesh editing\Edit mesh.

When you create a model, start thinking of if its to be used in a game or not. I recommend you not to trye model things for games until you have a bit moore experience. Im not saying that you need to be a pro but trye some things and play around in gMAX to learn how you actually USE the program to its full potential.

I hope I have given you some small advices and post ANY question if you want to learn more. I´ll put up a site later on with tutorials for 3Ds MAX and gMAX with both video step-to-step tutorials and HTML based. I cant say when it will happen but I´m working on it smile.gif

Stay tuned for more rock´n roll

PS. Here is a link to gMAX support and MAX forums.org for tutorials and so on.

This is what i'm currently doing, going around here and theyre and seing what it does when I do this or that. smile.gif

Hmm, i havnt got a clue if this will work, but, a very quick model i just knocked up in about 20 mins on gMax. If only gMax or 3dsm had the P3D plugins

blaser.jpg

[EDIT] ah well, i havnt got a clue about hosting pics with my AOL account.

[EDIT] Oh, seems to be working now!

wink.gif

20 min?? wow.gif Took me an hour or two to get where I i'm now. sad.gif

yep biggrin.gif i wouldnt worry about it, its pretty easy to pick up after you have read a tutorial and made a few models. I started with a tutorial from *gulp* Ghost Recon!, and that was pretty easy to follow, its very easy to make models if you can get atleast 1 side on view of the gun you are modeling, becuase then you can just trace the parts and extrude them to the desirable amount. Get in touch if you would like a hand with anything to do with it, i should have my email address in my profile!

Well i still havent gotten my pic up yet.Im working on a M1911A.45 pistol.Also if you can get a hold of a real gun you are working on take picture of diffrent colors on the gun and just apply it by going to that thing at the top right it is a red ball with checkers on top of it.Its the gmax material editor.Then clck new then find the pictures you want to apply to your gun.Also first beshure to click the part ou want to change the texture to.Also be shure you go to "Customize" then "unit setup" then "Us standard"(or metric) then select what it should use i.e. display in Feet w/decimal inchs and or decimal inches and on your your right you will see when ou cret some thing it will show how many inches or feet it is.So you can make it precise.Like say if a gun you are making is 4 feet long in real life you will see it say the same thing in the right.

Be shure you make a calibration box to.So lets take the 4 ft long gun just type that in the keyboard rollout and type 4 Feet width etc.Then create.Also if you have a picture of the real gun like at least the left side of the gun you can put that in the box you are creatin the gun with.So you would match the front and back of the gun in the calibratron box.Then you have it set.Then getrid of the calibration box then copy the picture.Go to Views then Veiw back ground then find where that picture is.Ill post more.Later and good luck! wink.gif

holy crap slik1985 do you REALLY need all that shit running in the background of your computer....? I am amazed you can play OFP at all

biggrin.gif Not at all! I was just trying to chat and stuff while i was making that model, and if you mean the stuff on the taskbar, i wouldnt have a clue about getting all of that off without uninstalling.

Ive never played OFP at the same time as running AOL though becuase its a real resource hugger. Most of the taskbar stuff is still there when i play it offline apart from the chat utils and other net related stuff, otherwise i close everything but the game.

Anyway, alot of the stuff on the taskbar has to be open for stuff to work on my computer, i.e. the joyskick and the mouse driver, also, the ISDN stuff has to be open for me to get onto the net aswell :-( The rest is just optional stuff like the Norton utils.