Sign in to follow this  
digitalcenturion

Qucik question about work enviroment/vegetation

Hi!

I'm working on my first island and finally have the heightmap and satmap somewhat OK-ish so I'm in the process of adding vegetation. So before i add a bunch of trees, should the p3d files be in this directory

P:\CA\Plants2\bush

or

P:\CA\Plant\ca\plants2\plant

This is just an example, what i mean is when you unpack say plants2_bush.pbo you get a directory structure, should you eliminate the "CA" part of it and put it directly under plants2? Visitor is confusing but atleast i understand it somewhat as opposed to O2 :)

Must look like this:

P:\CA\plants2\Bush

inside that you got your p3d's.

If you do so everything will be right.

Thanks for the fast reply! Seems i got it right, but i just now decided to use the Summer vegetation pack instead of plain vanilla, had enough of autumn colours with chernarus i think :)

If you're going to use the summer veg pack - the process - and structure - is pretty much the same...

*Download the pack - you'll get 4 x files...

*Plants.pbo, Bush.pbo, Trees.pbo and Clutter.pbo

*DEpbo these so you now have 4 x folders of the same names

*Make a folder on your P:\root directory called "summplants" and put all 4 folders inside there

So now you have P:\summplants\(bush, tree, plant, clutter folders)

Add the models to Visitors "natural objects" from that location and use as normal

For in-game use, just place the 4 x original .pbo's in the same modfolder as your island (or any other modfolder for that matter - it doesn't matter where they are - as long as they're loaded - though keeping them in the same folder is neater)..

Come release time - just tell all users they need the "latest summer vegetation pack" - make sure you emphasise that its the "islandmakers" pack - NOT the "Summer Replacement pack" that recolours Chernarus...

If and when we add to/upgrade the pack you'll have no worries - Beton and I have already had the "maintain backwards compatibility" conversation ;), any subsequent releases will automatically work with your island, and you may even find your veg getting nicer and nicer without any further effort on your part!

The downside is that the summer veg pack becomes a "required addon" for your island - and it's a fairly big download for people - the upside is that if other islandmakers are also using the pack on their islands, you may find that your users already have it! :D

(Any other questions regarding that veg stuff - just ask in the summerveg thread and Beton or I will help as best we can)...

B

Edited by Bushlurker