Sign in to follow this  
-martin-

Game freeseing after island loads

Hey guys,

I'm new to ArmA2, I'm still working on a project for Operation Flashpoint, an Island that I would like to export to ArmA2 once its finished :smile:

So today I decided to get familiar with ArmA 2 island creation, I read some tutorials how to export an island from OFP to ArmA2 (Desert Island) using Roller, It all went well and I created a test Satellite and Layer mask, everything looks good in Bulldozer so I packed the island in to a .pbo and it shows up in game, in the menu where you choose what island to load, but the picture doesn’t show. Then when I load the island the progress bar reaches 100% and the game stops responding and i have to close it :( (I use ArmA 2 version 1.02)

Here is a download link for the island folder and the .pbo. Please download it and see exactly what it does, all help is greatly appreciated, without you I can’t port my island to ArmA2 in the future.

Link: Island folder in P:\ Drive

http://www.mediafire.com/?oumo2zznrm5

Link: .pbo for game

http://www.mediafire.com/?2yjdyjynzty

here is the island config:

class CfgPatches
{
class Intro
{
	units[] = {Intro};
	weapons[] = {};
	requiredVersion = 1.00;
	requiredAddons[] = {"Utes"};
	version = "2009-9-1";
	fileName = "Intro.pbo";
	author = "Martin";
	mail = "Bauerek@hotmail.co.uk";
};
};
class CfgWorlds
{
class CAWorld;
class Utes: CAWorld
{
	class Grid;
	class DefaultClutter;
};
class Intro: Utes
{
	description = "Desert Island";
	worldName= "\Intro\intro.wrp";
	pictureShot = "\Intro\data\SM_Picture_ca.paa";
	centerPosition[] = {2720,2462,500};
	seagullPos[] = {2720,2462,500};
	longitude = 30; // positive is east, in degrees?
	latitude = -45; // positive is south, in degrees?

class Clutter
	{
		#include "cfgClutter.hpp"
	};
};
};

class CfgWorldList
{
class Intro {};
};

//SURFACES
#include "cfgSurfaces.hpp"

Thanks in advance for taking the time to download and help me :smile:

Edited by -Martin-
Added information and fixed spelling mistake

so I packed the island in to a .pbo

Did you binarize the island? using BinPBO?

If you just packed the source folder to a .pbo it may well work, although generally unpacked islands take a long while to load... bit there could be errors in there you just don't know about...

Using BinPBO will generate a log file - even if it fails, which will give you plenty of clues as to what might be wrong...

I'd try that first - get the log file and see what it says... if it can't find files, or config entries, or anything like that - the log file will tell you...

Give that a go - see what it says and let us know how you get on... once you have specific errors its easier to figure out whats wrong...

B

Did you binarize the island? using BinPBO?

If you just packed the source folder to a .pbo it may well work, although generally unpacked islands take a long while to load... bit there could be errors in there you just don't know about...

Using BinPBO will generate a log file - even if it fails, which will give you plenty of clues as to what might be wrong...

I'd try that first - get the log file and see what it says... if it can't find files, or config entries, or anything like that - the log file will tell you...

Give that a go - see what it says and let us know how you get on... once you have specific errors its easier to figure out whats wrong...

B

Yep I binarized it, but when I binarize the program crashes.

binxa.jpg

Here is the log file it created:

<world = "p:\intro\Intro.wrp">
No entry 'C:\Program Files\Bohemia Interactive\Tools\BinMake\Binarize\bin\config.cpp/CfgWorlds/Intro.Weather'.
No entry '.Overcast'.
No entry '.Lighting'.
No weather defined in .Overcast
No lighting defined in .Lighting
No entry '.ThunderboltNorm'.
No entry '.model'.
'/' is not a value
Cannot open object 
No entry '.soundFar'.
Size: '/' not an array
No entry '.soundNear'.
No entry '.ThunderboltHeavy'.
No entry '.model'.
'/' is not a value
No entry '.soundFar'.
No entry '.soundNear'.
No entry 'C:\Program Files\Bohemia Interactive\Tools\BinMake\Binarize\bin\config.cpp/CfgWorlds/Intro.midDetailTexture'.
'/' is not a value
No entry 'C:\Program Files\Bohemia Interactive\Tools\BinMake\Binarize\bin\config.cpp/CfgWorlds/Intro.seaTexture'.
'/' is not a value
No entry 'C:\Program Files\Bohemia Interactive\Tools\BinMake\Binarize\bin\config.cpp/CfgWorlds/Intro.Rain'.
No entry '.texture'.
'/' is not a value
No entry 'C:\Program Files\Bohemia Interactive\Tools\BinMake\Binarize\bin\config.cpp/CfgWorlds/Intro.seaMaterial'.
'/' is not a value
No entry 'C:\Program Files\Bohemia Interactive\Tools\BinMake\Binarize\bin\config.cpp/CfgWorlds/Intro.shoreMaterial'.
'/' is not a value
No entry 'C:\Program Files\Bohemia Interactive\Tools\BinMake\Binarize\bin\config.cpp/CfgWorlds/Intro.shoreFoamMaterial'.
'/' is not a value
No entry 'C:\Program Files\Bohemia Interactive\Tools\BinMake\Binarize\bin\config.cpp/CfgWorlds/Intro.shoreWetMaterial'.
'/' is not a value
No entry 'C:\Program Files\Bohemia Interactive\Tools\BinMake\Binarize\bin\config.cpp/CfgWorlds/Intro.terrainMaterial'.
'/' is not a value
Cannot load material file .
Cannot load material file 
No entry 'C:\Program Files\Bohemia Interactive\Tools\BinMake\Binarize\bin\config.cpp/CfgWorlds/Intro.clouds'.
[]: '/' not an array
No entry 'C:\Program Files\Bohemia Interactive\Tools\BinMake\Binarize\bin\config.cpp/CfgWorlds/Intro.clouds'.
No entry 'C:\Program Files\Bohemia Interactive\Tools\BinMake\Binarize\bin\config.cpp/CfgWorlds/Intro.clutterGrid'.
'/' is not a value
No entry 'C:\Program Files\Bohemia Interactive\Tools\BinMake\Binarize\bin\config.cpp/CfgWorlds/Intro.clutterDist'.
'/' is not a value
No entry 'C:\Program Files\Bohemia Interactive\Tools\BinMake\Binarize\bin\config.cpp/CfgWorlds/Intro.noDetailDist'.
'/' is not a value
No entry 'C:\Program Files\Bohemia Interactive\Tools\BinMake\Binarize\bin\config.cpp/CfgWorlds/Intro.fullDetailDist'.
'/' is not a value
No entry 'C:\Program Files\Bohemia Interactive\Tools\BinMake\Binarize\bin\config.cpp/CfgWorlds/Intro.Rain'.
No entry '.raindrop'.
'/' is not a value
No entry 'C:\Program Files\Bohemia Interactive\Tools\BinMake\Binarize\bin\config.cpp/CfgWorlds/Intro.skyObject'.
'/' is not a value
No entry 'C:\Program Files\Bohemia Interactive\Tools\BinMake\Binarize\bin\config.cpp/CfgWorlds/Intro.starsObject'.
'/' is not a value
No entry 'C:\Program Files\Bohemia Interactive\Tools\BinMake\Binarize\bin\config.cpp/CfgWorlds/Intro.pointObject'.
'/' is not a value
No entry 'C:\Program Files\Bohemia Interactive\Tools\BinMake\Binarize\bin\config.cpp/CfgWorlds/Intro.horizontObject'.
'/' is not a value
No entry 'C:\Program Files\Bohemia Interactive\Tools\BinMake\Binarize\bin\config.cpp/CfgWorlds/Intro.haloObject'.
'/' is not a value
No entry 'C:\Program Files\Bohemia Interactive\Tools\BinMake\Binarize\bin\config.cpp/CfgWorlds/Intro.Weather'.
No entry '.Overcast'.
No entry '.Lighting'.
No weather defined in .Overcast
No lighting defined in .Lighting
No entry '.ThunderboltNorm'.
No entry '.model'.
'/' is not a value
No entry '.soundFar'.
No entry '.soundNear'.
No entry '.ThunderboltHeavy'.
No entry '.model'.
'/' is not a value
No entry '.soundFar'.
No entry '.soundNear'.
No entry 'C:\Program Files\Bohemia Interactive\Tools\BinMake\Binarize\bin\config.cpp/CfgWorlds/Intro.midDetailTexture'.
'/' is not a value
No entry 'C:\Program Files\Bohemia Interactive\Tools\BinMake\Binarize\bin\config.cpp/CfgWorlds/Intro.seaTexture'.
'/' is not a value
No entry '.texture'.
'/' is not a value
No entry 'C:\Program Files\Bohemia Interactive\Tools\BinMake\Binarize\bin\config.cpp/CfgWorlds/Intro.seaMaterial'.
'/' is not a value
No entry 'C:\Program Files\Bohemia Interactive\Tools\BinMake\Binarize\bin\config.cpp/CfgWorlds/Intro.shoreMaterial'.
'/' is not a value
No entry 'C:\Program Files\Bohemia Interactive\Tools\BinMake\Binarize\bin\config.cpp/CfgWorlds/Intro.shoreFoamMaterial'.
'/' is not a value
No entry 'C:\Program Files\Bohemia Interactive\Tools\BinMake\Binarize\bin\config.cpp/CfgWorlds/Intro.shoreWetMaterial'.
'/' is not a value
No entry 'C:\Program Files\Bohemia Interactive\Tools\BinMake\Binarize\bin\config.cpp/CfgWorlds/Intro.terrainMaterial'.
'/' is not a value
No entry 'C:\Program Files\Bohemia Interactive\Tools\BinMake\Binarize\bin\config.cpp/CfgWorlds/Intro.clutterGrid'.
'/' is not a value
No entry 'C:\Program Files\Bohemia Interactive\Tools\BinMake\Binarize\bin\config.cpp/CfgWorlds/Intro.clutterDist'.
'/' is not a value
No entry 'C:\Program Files\Bohemia Interactive\Tools\BinMake\Binarize\bin\config.cpp/CfgWorlds/Intro.noDetailDist'.
'/' is not a value
No entry 'C:\Program Files\Bohemia Interactive\Tools\BinMake\Binarize\bin\config.cpp/CfgWorlds/Intro.fullDetailDist'.
'/' is not a value
No entry '.raindrop'.
'/' is not a value
No entry 'C:\Program Files\Bohemia Interactive\Tools\BinMake\Binarize\bin\config.cpp/CfgWorlds/Intro.skyObject'.
'/' is not a value
No entry 'C:\Program Files\Bohemia Interactive\Tools\BinMake\Binarize\bin\config.cpp/CfgWorlds/Intro.starsObject'.
'/' is not a value
No entry 'C:\Program Files\Bohemia Interactive\Tools\BinMake\Binarize\bin\config.cpp/CfgWorlds/Intro.pointObject'.
'/' is not a value
No entry 'C:\Program Files\Bohemia Interactive\Tools\BinMake\Binarize\bin\config.cpp/CfgWorlds/Intro.horizontObject'.
'/' is not a value
No entry 'C:\Program Files\Bohemia Interactive\Tools\BinMake\Binarize\bin\config.cpp/CfgWorlds/Intro.haloObject'.
'/' is not a value
</world>

I'm compleately new to ArmA2 island making so I dont know what that means :confused: Where are the good old WRP Tool days :biggrin:

Where are the good old WRP Tool days

Long gone, I'm afraid...

The new system isn't without its oddities, but impressive results are possible with patience...

Firstly, have you actually worked your way all the way through Sgt Aces Tutorial - including making and binarising and getting the "TUT Samplemap" actually in game without errors? If not - do that first! - do it twice! Honestly - understanding will kick in, you'll say "aaaah! right!!!!" and about half of your problems will no longer be problems (you'll get new ones instead ;))...

Once you've done that then you have a known working basic 1 clutter setup...

You should be able to adapt that easily to get your own terrain basically working... its mostly just a repathing job... keep to the structure! (though rename things to suit yourself)...

I had a quick look at your P:\drive files download... presumably "intro.xyz" is the terrain source - it should actually be in the "source" folder for example... I also notice you're using .tga files - that might cause issues... .png or .paa where appropriate is better - again - mimic the tutorial in all things...

The errors in the log are mainly to do with missing config entries, though probably other errors would have been logged later if BinPBO hadn't crashed...

Again - the tutorial should actually get you successfully thru the BinPBO process - thus reassuring you that though it may be the most unforgiving program on the planet - it does actually work...

You could then take a look at the Falklands Islands Source Files I posted a while back... it's not in a "plug-n-play" structure or anything, but it does include a fully working basic rock, grass, sand, urban 4 way clutter plus a working config that you can copy and adapt... (notice the entry in that config for "weather", for example... including that will nail all those "thunderbolt and lightning, very very frightening" errors in your log, for example ;)

Notice how in that - everything is under a "bush" namespace and all files, clutter configs, etc are named "bush_something" - do the same - it isolates your project from everyone elses... your "pisek" might be different from someone elses... but if they're both named the same, and a user has both islands loaded, conflicts will probably occur...

You have your terrain, sat and mask - so you're at least halfway there - you just need to pull the surrounding structure together - exactly like the tutorial does - but with EVERYTHING renamed and repathed and retagged to suit your own project (and also to avoid conflicts with other islands), using .png or .paa where the tutorial does (use texview to convert between the two)...

B

Edited by Bushlurker

Thanks a lot :)

I managed to figure it out and it seems I had a error in the config and I set up the binarize program wrong, but now everything works well :)

I'll get the structure together now, also I didnt know abotu adding those letters to a texture to make them mine, good tip.

I might import clutter from arma 1 because the atumn theme from arma 2 doesnt look good for that island, do you have any tips about importing or can you sort of give me some link or steps how to do that.

Thanks for your help :)

Theres the full range of Arma2 vegetation, including clutter - all in summer green, and specifically for islandmakers HERE

Might save you a bit of time and hassle... ;)

B