Sign in to follow this  
fixOPFsoundsplease

Sound Blaster Audigy

Has anyone played OFP with the latest SB card? please tell me if it has the (morphing etc) effects and tech to make OFP sound better...I'll stop asking for sound engine redesigns then HeHe...if it does. I would love to hear the .50 cal gun morph into the distance for example..just simple Wav samples (in ogg form) all the OFP sounds are.

http://www.guru3d.com/review/creative/audigy/

Here is a relevant part. quote:

"The biggest loser was the AWM sound in Counter-Strike. With another sound card, the Santa Cruz, the AWM would thunder and scare the #### out of me even if I heard one going off anywhere near me. Well, the AWM seems to have lost that weight with the Audigy. It sounds like a big gun, not like the sound of a gun that can put you down with a single decent shot. That being said, the positional audio does indeed work very well. Far better than the Santa Cruz or the Live. Everything from footsteps, voices, in-game sounds, and the ilk, are crisply detailed and very accurately rendered. It was a piece of cake to find the bomb by just the beeping. It didn’t improve my game any, but it really increased the immersion and fun factor by ten-fold!"

I have the Audigy and like it. It seems like a good step up from my Live! But, i still hear footsteps bug in OFP 1.30

What about those effects?

Please tell me what the card will do to the sound does it do all those tricks to make the guns sound different/better?

Or is their no difference because you cant apply the special effect options in games?

I upgraded from a Live! Value to the Audigy and noticed a decent improvement for almost every application. OFP didn't seem to change much, however. I feel that some of the sounds are more vibrant but overall, not enough change to recommend upgrading simply to make OFP sound better. I still have the footstep bug with the Audigy card as well.

Its bad and good news for me all at once!

This means that buying new hardware wont make OFP sound cool (real) - bad.

But the good news is my thoughts were right! OFP does in fact have to change its sound engine or at least some basic sample effects in order to have realistic weapon audio reports (pops...bops...clacks...thuds)

Are there any other sound cards besides Creative's that provides the same kind of hardware acceleration, without the footstep bug?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Quote: from Gaswell on 10:58 pm on Nov. 22, 2001

Are there any other sound cards besides Creative's that provides the same kind of hardware acceleration, without the footstep bug?<span id='postcolor'>

There are lots of cards that support full hardware acceleration, EAX and 3D sound, but they don't necessarily handle the footsteps correctly either.

I have a Philips Acoustic Edge, which has great sound, but suffers the same problems. Strangely enough, not everyone with a SoundBlaster experiences the bug, so it does indeed seem to be related to the drivers for it.

Check http://www.3dsoundsurge.com/ for info on sound cards in general.