Sign in to follow this  
lNTRUDER

CO12 ACE Operation Icarus

Hi!

So I'm back with a brand new release for all you coop junkies - Operation Icarus!

This time it's up to the Brits to save the day :)

Story:

The recent US army operation (codename Roadfighter) in the Iraqi city of Quesh-Kibrul was successful, and US forces

now control the city and it's industrial areas to the west. The small island to the southeast

is controlled by British forces.

However, the city of Quesh-Kibrul and the US bases in the area are targeted by accurate mortar

fire coming from the northeast. It is believed that the enemy have mortar positions in the

village of Qom-Islapete.

To make matters worse the enemy got their hands on 25 Stinger missiles after an ambush last

week on a US supply convoy. This means that no air support is available in this area until those

rockets are found and destroyed.

Mission:

-First of all elements of the British 3rd Parachute Battalion must secure two small villages in

grid BJ89 and BH87.

-Locate and destroy the trucks with the Stingers to open up the skies for coalition

aircraft again. US forces captured a prisoner in the battle of Quesh-Kibrul and during the

interrogations it became clear that the industrial site of Tum-les-briz is the best place to

start searching.

-Find and destroy the mortars somewhere in or around the village of Qom-Islapete.

Note that there are still some civilians occupying the area and civilian casualties must be

avoided at all cost.

Features:

- Story takes place after the events in 'Operation Roadfighter'

- 4 objectives (securing villages, destroying enemy assets etc.)

- Progressive respawns activated after completing objectives

- ACE Wound system

- Enemy AI: random probability of presence for replayability

- Civilians/wildlife

- Vehicle respawn

- Full briefing, notes and tickable objectives

NEW version released 2010-02-19: (v.1.00)

Changelog:

1.00 - 19.February.2010

- replaced the British RMC units with the British 3rd Para units

- tweaked placement of enemy units in key positions

- added more radio messages

- minor briefing changes

Download link (v.1.00):

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=9037

Required Addons:

Advanced Combat Environment 2 - Core beta

Advanced Combat Environment 2 - eXtras beta

Community Base addons

FFAA terrorists

Quesh-Kibrul 2.0

UKF Weapons Pack

British 3rd Para

Sorry for all the addons but I think it's worth the fuzz...:D

Have fun playing!

/ ]NTRUDER

Edited by ]NTRUDER
d/l link

Excellent mission! Keep up the good work, had a blast with this one! Love the units and weapons!

Gave it a look as well, I liked what I saw, but I'm still trying to coerce a group to download all the addons needed.

Why do people always use so many addons? You are only decreasing your potential customers. I would not give a flying fawk wether I am british or USMC or Russia.

C'mon alleycat, you can't imagine that everyone thinks the same as you? If so, we'd still use NES 8-bit. Addons are functional and immersive to varying degrees. ]ntruder is using them to give the mission a certain 'feel', which wouldn't exist if this was Chernarus with vanilla kit. I'm all for using addons when they will add to the game's enjoyment or functionality.

I do agree, however, that addons can decrease potential users, because the means to use them is still not as user-friendly as it could be. (wasn't 1.05 supposed to support something which automatically launched addons based on some .pbo parameter?)

The NES comparison does not work, because anything stock BIS is usually of higher quality than something created by hobby modding artists.

I am not attacking the mission quality here, but one MAJOR obstacle for me to download and try a mission is that I have to download several addons, learn how to "mount" them and then play. And the fun part is that missions itself in ARMA2 are only a few kbs large. I did not play the mission yet, but I think that for most types of missions the stock arma2 models work well. You can use the resistance guys as "terrorists" and there many different units like the MVD or razor team that look like "commandos".

The NES comparison does not work, because anything stock BIS is usually of higher quality than something created by hobby modding artists.

I am not attacking the mission quality here, but one MAJOR obstacle for me to download and try a mission is that I have to download several addons, learn how to "mount" them and then play. And the fun part is that missions itself in ARMA2 are only a few kbs large. I did not play the mission yet, but I think that for most types of missions the stock arma2 models work well. You can use the resistance guys as "terrorists" and there many different units like the MVD or razor team that look like "commandos".

The NES comp was tounge'n'cheek. I totally get your point about addons as an obstacle, and there are plenty of missions available without addons too. ARMA 2 launchers are available to help manage launching games with the right addons, and even ACE2-Beta has a couple manual updater programs around.

I don't want to distract this thread about OP. ICARUS, so we'll keep it on topic for now. Are you stuck at any particular step for using the addons in this mission?

Why do people always use so many addons? You are only decreasing your potential customers. I would not give a flying fawk wether I am british or USMC or Russia.

Well, I can only speak for myself but I think that the variation you get from using mods is what is making this game (or any BIS mil sim) so appealing.

I don't have anything against the vanilla units/factions but after playing them for a few months and designing a bunch of 'vanilla' missions, I just got tired of them.

I did like Chernarus a lot in the beginning but quite honestly I don't think it's well optimized, performance wise, for missions with a lot of AI and running scripts and what not. There are so many user made islands/maps that do a better job in my opinion.

With that said I'm mostly making missions for myself, putting in stuff that I want to play with, and of course if people like it it's a nice bonus :)

@maj_woody

You can play the role as one of the team leaders and control the AI team members. Might be a little tougher to complete it but it should work pretty okay.

@Ebden

Hope you find some team mates :) This really should be enjoyed in coop!

/ ]NTRUDER

Myself and a few others spent several hours working on this one. It was brutal on my machine. Three of us with AI disabled made it to the second town, but by that time I had frozen, crashed, dumped to desktop, or BSOD'd and couldn't continue.

Each time we liked what the mission offered, which is why we kept going back to it (I was hosting at the start, but someone else took it with a more stable machine). I was unimpressed by the UK weapons though, especially when used in a mission with CQB at the very first objective. Not a one of the UK weapons has iron sights, so we opted for some of the ACE2 weapons instead.

Also, it may be ACE2 related, but on respawn we were not able to rekit a ruck nor put a weapon on our back.

Despite these hangups (investigating compu stability this week), I'll be back at this mission soon.

Hi Ebden and thanks for the feedback!

I'm sorry to hear about my mission bringing your hardware to it's knees (sort of). May I ask what specs you play with?

I have been playing this together with my clan buddies and others and have not experienced any performance issues. Always on a dedicated server though, and that might make all the difference in this case. In general the Quesh-Kibrul map runs pretty smooth but since this mission is kind of AI intense it might be wise to run it on a dedicated server with decent specs. If possible :D

About the UK weapons I totally understand where you are coming from. Although I like them personally (or perhaps just the variation itself) I can see why people would want to equip themselves with US hardware instead. Hence the weapon crates at mission start :)

The stuff you are saying about rekitting rucks and putting weapons on back I have not experienced myself. But I have however seen some weird behaviour when it comes to picking up new weapons from crates or dead bodies. From what I can recall rucks and medical supplies would disappear when picking up a new primary weapon. All that started to appear after one of the ACE 2 updates from last week (don't remember what version it was specifically). Or it could be in conjunction with the BIS 1.05 patch. As always, these things can be hard to pinpoint... I will however see what I can do to reproduce the issues and if successful I will try to fix them.

Thanks again Ebden and good luck with the mission if you give it another go! :p

/ ]NTRUDER

Hi all!

Feel free to give the new version a try :)

Changelog:

1.00 - 19.February.2010

- replaced the British RMC units with the British 3rd Para units

- tweaked placement of enemy units in key positions

- added more radio messages

- minor briefing changes

Download link in first post.

/ ]NTRUDER

NTRUDER;1573227']Hi all!

Feel free to give the new version a try :)

Nice. Look forward to trying it this weekend.

Lolz, finally I've gone public :D

PC Gamer UK mentioned my mission

(thx to sparks50 for the pic)

I didn't buy it but they said they would stick the mission on the coverdisc as well. Oh well...who cares :p

/ ]NTRUDER