Sign in to follow this  
Grindfrog

Game won't start

I have a dell optiplex 745, I have the recommended requirements for the game but it wont run. It says shader model 2.0 isn't supported, but on intel's website it says my graphics controller supports 3.0. Someone please help. I also have windows 7, is that a problem? I just bought a 9800gtx+ that wouldn't fit, but I cut a little off the metal peice that screws into the computer, and it worked but I don't have a good enough power supply so I ordered a new one that is 550 watts. Will this fix my problem?

Can you post up your dxdiag report for us to look at. Windows wont be the problem. So are you using motherboard intergrated graphics at the moment then. If you are. It wont run, no way... you just need that psu and you can try with that. Send the dxdiag anyway

Intel core 2 Quad Q9550 @3.3Ghz

BFG Tech GTX 285 OC

Asus P5N-D Mobo

4GB DDR2 Corsair XMS

Thermaltake Ruby Orb Cpu cooler

Maxtor HDD

EZ COOL 650w PSU

you certain you dont have a pirated copy?

EDIT: i would post the link to that version, but im sure BIS wouldnt appreciate it. all the same theres people with illegal copies having that problem

Edited by Vick

No I purchased it through steam. And when I run it, the error says "Does not support shader model 2 anymore"

No I purchased it through steam. And when I run it, the error says "Does not support shader model 2 anymore"

sorry for the accusation, i have your fix, its something to do with the ammount of ram, you simply need to cap it to 2gb prior to playing, i think.

i will edit and update this once i find a link explaining the problem

edit|update: alright, this should do the trick- go to start and run msconfig- go to the boot tab, then advanced options, check the maximum memory and set it to 2048

apply changes and restart the computer, you should then have no problems getting the game to start

and to use all your memory again use the same process going through msconfig and restarting, it may be a pain, but its the only solution i can think of

Edited by Vick

Alright I just got my powersupply today, I put in my 9800gtx+, and the game started up fine, runs smooth, and I must say it has the best graphics I have ever seen in a game, it's fun addicting and very challenging. But I have one question. Before I had the graphics card, It said I needed shader model 3.0. I got the graphics card and it plays like I have shader model 3.0. But I tried running a different game and it said I didn't have shader model 3.0. I also have a dual core 1.86 ghz so thats almost 3.0 ghz so it meets the minumum requirements. Also when I went to multiplayer it had an X an almost all the servers is that because of an update or is it saying I have an illegal copy?