Sign in to follow this  
Jacky Ickx

How to manage sea attacks?

Hiya everyone,

Have fooled around with the OFP mission editor for a while and I've found out that somehow it's really tricky to use the pbr and the russian boat to make sea attacks and to deploy soilders from the sea.

-First of all it's hard to get the soldiers to mount the ship unless you do it by initalization coding.

-To get the boats to navigate according to waypoints works ok on the open sea but becomes tricky when attemting to move through narrow parts (such as the deep ravine on the western part of Malden).

-The worst part is to get the soldiers to disembark without half of the squad getting drowned in the sea.

Does anyone have any useful tips for this sort of mission? Perhaps changing the behaviour setting for soldiers and boat crew might help? Any suggestions?

Some tips :

-If you want ships to go through narrow parts place there more waypoints that will be navigating them.

-For boarding ship: if you don't need to see soldiers boarding ship is better to use init line. Place this line to leaders init box and whole group will be in boat.

"_x moveincargo shipName" foreach (units group this)

-For disembarking: place unload cargo wp (for ship) and get out wp (for men) to land. Ship is capable partly move from sea.

SNif i ve failing the validation button

I'm french , my english isn't good sorry

i can help you on 2 points !!

you say that the half of your soldiers dead in water when they disembark !! you must know that this ship can move out water , they move on the earth than put a wpt directly on the beach !!! you can t put more than 4 ou 5 soldiers in a ship , if you are a group of 8 soldiers and you type foreach

this moveincargo boat1 than 3 will fall in the water !!

i advise you to create groups with 4 mans inside !!

for example

i m creating a groupe of 4 men

the leader's name is = L1

the name of the groupe is = G1

the ship's name = S1

type in the init fiel of the leader

G1=group this; "_x moveincargo S1" foreach units G1

all the soldiers of the group are in the ship qith just one line of code

bye bye

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanx for the tips,

As I said in my post...the only reasonable way to get the soldiers to board the ship is to use the initialization line for the units...

When it comes to disembarking it's still kinda tricky since the boat cant move on steep slopes such as the beach in the Malden ravine...it only seems to work on pretty flat beaches..

Little trick I learned because I made an invasion once. Send the boats to a waypoint offshore. Then make the next waypoint ON the beach but on an angle with the side of the boat that the people exit against the shore. The angle means even if they exit into the water, they will only be in a foot deep.