Sign in to follow this  
Darkhawk

Do t-80's have a faster reload time?

I was just playing right now and I was using a T-80 aganst an M1A1 Abrams. The abrams fired first and nailed me on the side then I turned the gun on him and fired two shots off before he fired back and then the guy acused me of cheating because he said I fired to fast. Both tanks were in mint condition!

Dose anyone know if the T-80 dose have a faster reload time?

This depends on the skill which the tank is given. When the skill of the tank is higher, it will reload faster.

the T-80 has auto-loader system. the M1A1 has a live loader.

the comparison depends of how skillful is your loader.

some tend to think the auto-loader is better but i think other-wise.

a real good loady will do it as good as an auto-system, and is less likely to jamm biggrin.gif

Game wise I couldn't tell you. In reality, the question is very subjective, since M1's are loaded manually. I don't recall if the T-80 uses an auto loader, but I believe other Soviet tanks did. As I recall, what made them slow wasn't so much the reload, as the need for the barrel to move to certain angle in order for the next round to load. That had the effect of forcing the gunner to spend time reorienting after every shot.

M1 tank crews train to reload the main gun in less than five seconds, and a three second reload time is not uncommon once a loader gets some practice. The main gun remains steady during reload, but the gunner can still target, and the main gun will automatically readjust once loading is complete.

All Soviet-built tanks since the T-62 have been auto loader. The 2 big drawbacks are that if your mechanical loader goes "tits up", manual reloading is VERY slow....and the fact that you only have a 3 man crew.

Ether - you are right on the spot about the breech having to be in a specific position to re-load, but that is an automatic process. It is very similar to what is on the Abrams - "elevation uncouple". What happens is after the round is fired, and the main gun is placed on safe, the gun is brought to 0 elevation to make it easier for the loader to reload. While this is going on, the ballistic computer still keeps the gunner's sights on the target. He is still able to lase and track targets, but cannot fire. After the main gun is reloaded and armed, the gun returns to match the sights. This takes place only in "normal" mode (where the gun is slaved to the sights).

As for the Soviet system, I imagine it is something very similar.

Personally - I would MUCH rather have a human loader.

#1 - you can beat him when he screws up smile.gif

#2 - you have 4 bodies for maintanence, not 3

#3 - malfunctions are not a possibility

One of the reasons that the Block III was never really considered as a replacement for the M1 was the fact that a 2 man crew could never handle the maintenance aspect of a combat tracked vehicle.

I really don't know how the autoloader system works, but I'm passing on what was explained to me. Perhaps the T-72 or older tanks are what dealt with the problem of having to retarget after reload - back before computers were really available to assist in such functions.

One thing that I haven't seen get much attention is the sheer rarity of the T-80 tanks. Things may have changed since I was in the service (ETS '91,) but back then the T-80 was very limited in number - primarily due to it's cost. I imagine that Russia has increased their numbers since then, but their small numbers weren't considered much of a threat back in the 80's.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (sgtdwetzel @ April 03 2002,19:03)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">#1 - you can beat him when he screws up   smile.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Why if u would die shortly after his little mistake? wow.gifwow.gifwow.gif