Sign in to follow this  
Mikobiko

ArmA2 Server Crushing one core?

Is it normal for ArmA2 to be crushing a single core? I have an 8 core machine and its cpu usage is almost pegging out a single core and the others have little blips here and there, but the one core is just slammed.

Any ideas?

I have the same problem, not that I would class it as a problem, I'm assuming its normal,

8 cores? i7 with 4 cores HT?

Pretty much how arma server uses multicores. really hits one core hard and then starts to off load some task to other cores. I just set afinity to let Arma use two cores .

This is my experience from the 1.04 beta standalone server for Linux. I'm guessing the AI is running in one thread strictly, so once you have that one CPU core running at 100 % the server FPS will start to drop and there's little you can do.

I don't like to bitch, but it's frustrating considering that BIG multiplayer missions are really the home ground for ArmA 2 (or could be) and fast quad-cores are cheap. It's a very real problem.

Edited by Antti Salonen

My 2 servers on 1.04 official are fully using the 4 cores, equally.

"1.04 official" would mean Windows then? One standalone server is using 4 cores?

If this is the case then I guess it's better to wait for the final release of the Linux server, because it seems to be impossible to get the same kind of performance out of the beta release.

Yes, windows, but I'm setting affinity manually for each server to 2 of the available 4 cores (2 for each server)

Maybe try the same on Nux

AFAIK, server or not, AI only uses a single thread and thus a single (physical, or virtual with HT) processor. Therefore once you have more AI than one core can handle, it doesn't matter how many cores you have (or what your graphic settings are on SP/hosted games), your FPS is going down, and you're best off disabling HT (if relevant). Heck, you're probably best off disabling HT completely as the game doesn't seem to run enough "heavy" threads, which means with HT on, if you make the game load up your CPU as much as it can, you'll start getting FPS drop while still having most of your CPU idle.