Sign in to follow this  
Ozz13

shoot officers first?

seriously, even in RL warfare, there is no advantage in taking out an officer leading an attack. Nobody is going to notice it because the rest of the squads will already be under the C&C of their fire team leaders in attacking your position. (ex-SF operator for 8 years) The only officer on the field we take out are those decision makers garrisoned in their base.

Hi jasonnoguchi

It occurs to me that as an (ex-SF operator for 8 years) you are some one who takes the initiative, hence why you ended up in SF. And that as one of an elite you have perhaps not realised that, though it should have been mentioned in your training.

The plane fact is that in all walks of life there are people who get off their arse and do things and a larger number who will not do anything until they are told to. It is also my own experience that even when their lives or the lives of others are threatened this is the case. This is the reason soldiers are taught SOPs using Operant Conditioning to short circuit conscious response as a way of counter acting that inaction weakness.

A fire team leader is just the same as the officer, would you be happier if we said leader?

I also think that perhaps you are from a nation that uses a volunteer Army with a selection process. Which raises the initial bar. And no the fact that armies tend to use the lower echelon of society has no significance. The reason most of us end up in the lower echelon has far more to do with whether or not your mom drives a Volvo or SVU, being lower echelon of society has nothing to do with the inherent capabilities that particular soldier/person as I am sure you are aware, I can think of many of the best SF operators who came from very low backgrounds.

Kind Regards walker

Edited by walker

All I remember is radioman first, machine guns second, then everyone else. You don't want the enemy to call out, you don't want to be suppressed by machine guns, and really if they can't call out and you have them ducking down from your own suppressing fire, they're dead. I suppose it would depend on the country you're fighting and how they organize their forces but if you take out a US officer you're not going to really stop anything. With chain of command being how it is and everyone usually knowing what's going on (what the mission objective is) and the officer is almost a figurehead at that point. US Platoons could go on missions without them and be successful because someone will always take their place, that's how the CoC works. Other countries I don't know.

For the leadership comment above yes that would work, but you'd have to identify leaders and again it's who you're fighting. A US platoon with 3 squads has 11 leaders in 29 people (1PL, 1PS, 3SL, 6TL). Good luck figuring out who they are under fire. This also depends on them not having experienced people ready to take charge, which there almost certainly will be at least 1 per squad. Better to just throw bullets until they duck down then come in for the kill.

All I remember is radioman first, machine guns second, then everyone else. You don't want the enemy to call out, you don't want to be suppressed by machine guns, and really if they can't call out and you have them ducking down from your own suppressing fire, they're dead. I suppose it would depend on the country you're fighting and how they organize their forces but if you take out a US officer you're not going to really stop anything. With chain of command being how it is and everyone usually knowing what's going on (what the mission objective is) and the officer is almost a figurehead at that point. US Platoons could go on missions without them and be successful because someone will always take their place, that's how the CoC works. Other countries I don't know.

For the leadership comment above yes that would work, but you'd have to identify leaders and again it's who you're fighting. A US platoon with 3 squads has 11 leaders in 29 people (1PL, 1PS, 3SL, 6TL). Good luck figuring out who they are under fire. This also depends on them not having experienced people ready to take charge, which there almost certainly will be at least 1 per squad. Better to just throw bullets until they duck down then come in for the kill.

While that is probably true, this thread is not about real life decisions (spelling :S)

This thread was about your target priorities in a game (ARMA2), where you can easily distinguish leaders simply by their models / weapons.

I am confused.

Hi all

Me more so; I just used the quote and that is what it came up with then I copied the quote name in to my post.

Some kind of aberation in the Database I think; either that or he changed his user name since I quoted him.

I altered it now.

Kind Regards walker

Edited by walker