Sign in to follow this  
JamesGTAIV

Performance issues. weird problem.

Ive had arma 2 for a while now and never had any problems with it. Im using a Direct2Drive copy. Heres the issue. My girlfriend got an alienware m15x recently (Core i7 720, GT 240m, 4 gigs ram, 320G HDD). We downloaded my direct 2 drive copy to her computer just to see if it would run ok. It ran just fine with everything set to high/normal. We tried to get her an account on D2D so she could get a copy but for some reason it wouldnt let her buy it. We then tried steam. She bought it and everything downloaded okay but when we tried running it, it ran absolutely terrible even with everything set to very low. Especially in multiplayer. It was completely unplayable.

We figured it must be the Steam copy because it was fine with the D2D copy. We then deleted all the files that we know of and began to download the D2D copy yet again and just use the Steam copys key for MP. It still runs like crap. Multiplayer is still unplayable at very low. This doesnt make sense to us at all because it was running good before steam.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Copy(s) bought: Steam, D2D

Patch: 1.04 from Filefront.com (for D2D version)

I use arma edit for the missions I make.

EDIT: Were going to try rebooting the computer to see if it works. I really doubt it though.

Edited by JamesGTAIV

Ive had arma 2 for a while now and never had any problems with it. Im using a Direct2Drive copy. Heres the issue. My girlfriend got an alienware m15x recently (Core i7 720, GT 240m, 4 gigs ram, 320G HDD). We downloaded my direct 2 drive copy to her computer just to see if it would run ok. It ran just fine with everything set to high/normal. We tried to get her an account on D2D so she could get a copy but for some reason it wouldnt let her buy it. We then tried steam. She bought it and everything downloaded okay but when we tried running it, it ran absolutely terrible even with everything set to very low. Especially in multiplayer. It was completely unplayable.

We figured it must be the Steam copy because it was fine with the D2D copy. We then deleted all the files that we know of and began to download the D2D copy yet again and just use the Steam copys key for MP. It still runs like crap. Multiplayer is still unplayable at very low. This doesnt make sense to us at all because it was running good before steam.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Copy(s) bought: Steam, D2D

Patch: 1.04 from Filefront.com

I use arma edit for the missions I make.

EDIT: Were going to try rebooting the computer to see if it works. I really doubt it though.

Sounds like something in the registry is left over from the D2D copy you installed. I would uninstall everything, open regedit, search for anything hat says "Bohemia Interactive", and delete anything that has that.

Then reinstall from the Steam version.

ok thanks. Is there any reason i should use the steam version?

Edited by JamesGTAIV

Patch: 1.04 from Filefront.com ? are you using this with your steam copy? ,if you are you will have problems.let steam keep your game up to date,only steam patches work with steam games.

hope this helps :bounce3:

Patch: 1.04 from Filefront.com ? are you using this with your steam copy? ,if you are you will have problems.let steam keep your game up to date,only steam patches work with steam games.

hope this helps :bounce3:

lol no. For D2D copy. I really hate steam. When we used it we were searching for servers and the list was empty. I swear im never downloading games again. Physical only for me. Thanks for the reply though man.

Yeah, it's most likely the registry. I know other people have had issues with it when installing two different copies.

I don't know, everytime I convice my GF to play a game it ends up being me following her around doing what she wants, but I can't get more kills than her, and if it's a duel and I win, then I'm on the couch for a week.

I don't know, everytime I convice my GF to play a game it ends up being me following her around doing what she wants, but I can't get more kills than her, and if it's a duel and I win, then I'm on the couch for a week.

Lmao. Yeah dude. I know what you mean. Ill win and shes like: "Why does it always have to be a competition with you? You just cant lose can you james?"

Oh, I still havent had a chance to try the registry but you guys seem pretty certain that thats the issue so i feel confident. I really hope thats it. She seemed prety disapointed about the whole thing. She thought she couldnt run it. I cant have her thinking I spent that much on a crap computer.

Edited by JamesGTAIV