Sign in to follow this  
netrocyn

New in game radio?

Just wondering if would be possible in theory to create a mod for the terribly robotic radio procedure in Arma2.

'Man, front, far' etc.

I understand that the engine makes compound messages from many different clips but would it be possible to design a mod with slightly more human sounding recordings. OR single clips for situations instead of compound ones.

eg instead of 'Man, front, far' it could be 'I see someone far to our front'

Just to make it more human.

With the huge arma community it would create a huge varied library of sounds and responses.

Anyway i dont even know if this is possible and/or legal.

Thanks for any thoughts.

There is a reason for Man , front, far and that it sounds robotic.

The sounds are chained together, because the engine determines what does the unit see, where is the seen object and how far is it. Then the text string as well as the sound chain is being created.

To respond to that with coherent sentences would have increased the memory/disk requirements of the game by multiples.

It is also disturbing to have hundreds of different voice actors that record sounds that only one and the same unit in-game is using, which sounds odd.

But i don`t wanna discourage you, maybe someone will do something like that.

yes, in theory is very possible...

for instance, instead of having MAN, front, far...You would have Unknown footmobile contact, to our front, far away....

Be advised that NO ONE uses the protocol you described ('I see someone far to our front'), and that all radio and direct messages are someone standardized...

But again, as Charon said, you would either break some things, or you would need to increase the number of recorded sounds to fix it.

Conclude: Yes, it is possible, using the same engine and method BIS used

Edited by PuFu

Yes i understand what you mean by radio protocol my example was purely academic. Encouraging to hear it is possible as I think it would add much more atmosphere. Particularly in emotional moments, we have 'oh no, 1...is down' said in a casual matter of fact way like hes taking the p**s.

When i first heard original arma radio i thought 'what is this?'

It seems Op Flash DR has a similar system that works a bit better.