PC crash at boot form CD

as stated in the title so im using a PSP

i had scanned it only two days before and no porblems

since then i have only got files form a mate over msn,gonna ask him to scan his

has anyone got this before and managed to get it back

all my arma work is on it lol

thanks in advance

Vague description is vague...

What is crashing? What are trying to boot from CD?

Edited by echo1

windows XP is my OS

i start my pc and on the menu(not sure its name) when all the writing comes up

at 'boot form CD' the pc will shut off and wont give any reason

plus it wont start up again for a few mins after crashing

Yeah, sounds like some generic Windows failure, best resolved by reinstalling it.

It should be easy to save all the stuff on your hard drive though. Do you have access to some kind of external hard drive?

Are you trying to format it? As it sounds like the XP CD is in the drive on boot up, otherwise that shouldn't be an option unless something is royally borked.

If you're trying to format then it sounds like the drive may be kaput. If you have another DVD/CD drive in the machine try that one, if not, methinks a replacement is needed (or ask friends if they have an old one they don't use lying around that works). if it is the drive then you'll need a new one anyway unless you never use CD's and DVD's, which isn't helpful when you need to install Windows again lol.

Another posibility is the disc is screwed. It could be a bad copy or something (even legit copies can screw up before you think I'm accusing you of using a pirate copy!).

To keep all your files, your best bet is to take your hard drive out and then hook it up inside another PC you have access to, then copy all the stuff you wish to save onto the other drive (it's HIGHLY recommended that you put the stuff onto an external drive, then use this drive in the future as a back up. Backups are VERY important!).

Try pressing F8 AFTER the BIOS screen and you should get a menu asking you if you wish to start normally or in safe mode (hopefully). Bashing F8 BEFORE the BIOS is finished will give you a menu asking you which drive to boot from, which is handy when you wish to boot from a CD/DVD. Be sure not to have a disc in the drive too.

The "Press any key..." message comes up on any computer that is set to boot first from the CD drive, irrespective of whether it has a disc in the drive or not.

To keep all your files, your best bet is to take your hard drive out and then hook it up inside another PC you have access to, then copy all the stuff you wish to save onto the other drive (it's HIGHLY recommended that you put the stuff onto an external drive, then use this drive in the future as a back up. Backups are VERY important!).

A much better idea is to get an external drive of some kind, connect it to the computer, and use a Linux live CD to copy the files across.

cheers for the tips

buuuut the pc wont start at all

But you just said that it gets as far as the "Press any key to boot from CD" message?

Edited by echo1

i know i did

but now it wont start at all

So when you press the button nothing happens?

No fans go on, no beeping?