Sign in to follow this  
Baker65

Nvidia in trouble?

I hope that isn't some kind of life philosophy you have, because the 'best value for money' provider bounces from one to the other on a regular basis. It's ATI now, but it was nVidia for a long long time before that. It may change back to nVidia when the GT300 family comes out, who knows...

Guess i forgot to write "at the moment", i know that in the hardware industry things can change pretty fast

Anyway, if nVidia pulls out something better at a good price, i would obiously go for nVidia, but it dosent seems that "Fermi" is going to be any cheap at all when they release it. Hopefully competition will take care of lowering prices:j:

all the effects removed from non PhysX version of Batman can be done on CPU or 'emulated' to be like the physics ones on the CPU (for example carpets hanging from the ceiling are missing completely)

most of these 'effects' were done in 10 years old games ...

it's very easy claim how game looks great with versus w/o the effect when You simply decide to remove that effect for hardware you don't want to write it...

real challenge is to make it work and look same on ALL hardware

I'm not debating that and again I DON'T agree with what Nvidia has done with regards to disabling Physx if the driver detects an ATI GPU.

It's counter productive.

Whether the effects were done in "10 year old games" or not, the fact is that I have an Nvidia 280 based system in front of me and an ATI 5870 based system to my right. There is no question which system Batman looks significantly better on. Workarounds etc don't interest me. I want to play the game, not spend hours screwing around with 3rd party mods that "might" do the same job as the proprietary software (and usually don't).

As a consumer, I want these things working out of the box. I still do most of my gaming on my Nvidia rig and very little on my 5870 rig (which is significantly faster than my Nvidia box JFYI).

Simple reasons are no nHancer (or equivalent)and no PhysX. These are considerations for me when I choose my mainstay hardware and are likely going to be 2 of the more prominent reasons that I sell my 2 x 5870 in late November in favour of Fermi.

Eth

Edited by BangTail