Sign in to follow this  
Arma-2-Guru

Musician for hire, for missions.

I've been playing Guitar for just over a year and a half, I want to create some short and snappy riffs for people to add to their maps, if anyone wants to take me up on this offer just PM me or drop a comment here, peace.

I don't have a job for you at this moment but would you like to give us some samples? :)

I am playing now for 3 years guitar, and we could take just an nice guitar player (like milow)

and take a song (only the riffs) and add for when ur in a plane or somethingm we could ask CLAY (I thought it was him who moade the carradio) to make a plane radio, so we could have a relaxing song while flying in a dogfight or make bombing runs.... xD

I am playing now for 3 years guitar, and we could take just an nice guitar player (like milow)

and take a song (only the riffs) and add for when ur in a plane or somethingm we could ask CLAY (I thought it was him who moade the carradio) to make a plane radio, so we could have a relaxing song while flying in a dogfight or make bombing runs.... xD

in-game players, winamp, ipod, stereo works fine for that. ;) But hey, your free to create whatever you want. :)

Sounds and incidental music are often neglected or omitted entirely by mission makers - which is a shame...

When it's done well, the music becomes part of the experience...

I'm sure there's plenty of people here who have "mission flashbacks" just by hearing the opening notes of several of the old OFP themes :D

Arma 1 just didn't "have it" on the music front, whereas in Arma 2 they've done quite well again..

Of course theres only a relatively small number of built-in clips... so after a while you've heard em all before...

Using commercial music "clips" is one way around this that works well - as you can see in some of the better-done Arma2 videos around... however there's several problems with that - from (technical) breach of copyright, to the "recognition factor" (familiar music comes with "pre-associations" that prevent it from being stored in (your) memory along with the experience)... (because of this factor - obscure classical music clips often work best - simply because nobody recognises them)...

Interestingly - I noticed this "psychological effect" myself just recently...

In my (heavily edited) Personal Edition Domination, I edited the sidemissions to always play one of the stock 20sec Arma 2 themes on completion... It didn't take long for that music to become associated with "successful completion" - even in Real Life, I've heard one of my flatmates (a fellow player) actually humming the same tune as he was finishing a repair job in the house - he "announced successful completion" with the "recognised" theme! :D

The reason I sound as if I know a bit about this is because I have a friend who is a pro musician and does this sort of thing for a living - you'll never have heard of him, but if you live in the UK and own a TV you've probably heard his music...

He works for - amongst others - a big publishing company called Chappell in London...

One of their specialities is "incidental music" for film and TV... If you're making say - a TV sci-fi series, you'd phone Chappell and they send round "samplers" for you to listen to... Or you're Cliff Richard and you wanna release a new album - same procedure as above - they send round a hundred "cliff-style" songs - they pick a dozen or so, then either buy the music outright, or arrange some sort of usage rights with Chapprell - my friend gets paid accordingly..

For "incidentals", he works to a brief... in the "sci-fi" example above... you get a list from the publishers...

Starship Running Normally ~ 30s

Starship Under Attack #1 ~20s

Starship - Meteor Strike ~ 10s

etc etc etc

... he writes and records multiple clips for each... off they go to Chappell... maybe 2 years later, someone buys them and he gets a Fat Cheque...

(I think the reason he's a "Pro" is because he actually manages to come up with simple themes that run thru the whole thing, so whether its an "exciting bit" or a "running smooth" it all somehow "feels" part of the same theme..)

Anyhow - that's how it works in the commercial world...

In the Arma 2 world???

Well - if you're feeling creative, you've got basic recording capability and you've read up on the (pretty straightforward) .ogg file requirements for music usage in Arma 2... there's nothing to stop you releasing a couple of "sample clips" here on the Forums... People like Celery above, who DO know how to make missions (unlike myself) are likely to use them, and it won't be long before you get the opinions and feedback flowing in...

If it's positive, a "soundclip bank" might be an interesting project for you... As far as I know there isn't really a mission making resource like that available for Arma 2 at the moment...

Good luck anyway...

B

Edited by Bushlurker