Sign in to follow this  
chris330

Deadliest Catch's Freak/Rogue Wave Strike

Hi quick one if you haven't seen this:

This looks really big at first. However as was rightly pointed out the boat is side on to the wind which wou can see from the spray with the wave that occurs just before it strikes. Looking at other videos on freak waves this just doesn't seem to have the right profile of a proper freak wave. I think maybe it is either just a wave which is just substantially larger than those around it or... the tail end of a huge freak wave which has broken a few hundred feet away to the right side of the boat.

Anyone think the latter suggestion is possible? They were in a suitable sea state for a monster to develop. Was this just a bigger than normal wave or is it possible they were unbelievably lucky and just missed out on a huge steep wave that broke some distance away in the darkness?

well it was a big wave anyhow. Didnt recognize the crew or boat, what season was that? I luv that show along with Ax Men and Ice Road Truckers...best on TV.

I can't get youtube to work right now, but as a general rule, cameras halve the heights of waves and and eyewitness estimates double them.